Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Double Kilij  (Read 11026 times)
Vylias
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 14 April 2006, 08:52:00 »

Double Kilij

Overview
The Double Kilij is a curved blade that comes in pairs. It originates from the Shendar tribe and is mostly used by the men since the women usually prefer the Bane Whip. The blade is used in battle and in times of peace it usefulness circles on the beauty it contains when employed in the Shendar sword dance. It is both deadly and beautiful.

Description
The Double Kilij has a blade length of almost a fore, and curves out towards its tip spanning to nearly a palmspan at its widest point. The sword has a 'T' shaped cross section on the back of the blade that helps to give it greater strength. Despite the expansion of the width the metal is kept thin. The tip of the blade flares out causing a 'u'  at the very top  where the point on the left of the u is slightly higher than the right and more pointed. This part of the sword is called the yelman.

The hilt of the double kilij is thick with grooves made for the hand of the particular Shendar that wields it making it slightly uncomfortable for no one but the original owner to wield perfectly The sword hilt is thin  because across the hilt is a groove where the swords attach making them one sword. A warrior might choose to fight with the double kilij as one sword or separate it into two depending on the situation. It also makes it easier for carrying and deceiving opponents that are unfamiliar with the weapon.

Usage
The double kilij is used by the Shendar tribe and mostly wield by the men. It is a weapon needed for dealings with outsiders who can only understand strength by weaponry. The kilij shows that because its deadliness is apparent in how it looks as well as how it is used.  

Because of its length and its curved it is a weapon the can be used both on foot and riding. Its curved blade is good for cleaving and swinging. The kilij is in every way an offensive weapon, though it can be used without killing, it is made to kill.

In times of peace the kilij is used in a sword dance. This is a competition, mostly among the men, where the wielder shows his agility and the beauty of the blade through a dance. It is a magnificent as well as dangerous dance where the best are invited to perform in ceremonies.

Fighting Style
Two-in-One: When the blade is attached by the hilt it can be used as a single sword. This can be useful when riding. Since one just needs to swing when going by. The curved shape is good for cleaving and the yelman strengthens the weapons ability to slice and make deeper wounds.  Unfortunately the grip on the sword is harder to maintain in this form and so makes it easier for a person to unhand the weapon in face to face combat.

Double: using the weapon as two swords is the most useful. The weapon slices deep and has the ability to cleave things in two with greater ease because of its curved form. The tip can be used for hooking and jerking, a very brutal practice of the kilij. The width of the blade helps to deflect aerial attacks. The inside of the blade is used in order to hook swords and unarming opponents. This part of the blade can be used to crush instead of cut if necessary.  

One of the disadvantages of the weapons is that its attacks are mostly side attacks. The blade is not made for thrusting, so it therefore limits the motions the swords can attack from.

History/Origin
The weapon was invented by one of the men in the Siuu tribe. Interactions as merchants led to disputes and many of the men were attacked because they were seen as weak. The caused of the attacks was because as a society ruled by women they were looked down on. Seeing that the men of outside societies judged strength by violence the merchant knew that an appearance of strength was necessary.

This appearance of strength was invented with the kilij. Skirmishes and fights for territory that broke out among the tribes already called for a new weapon so the merchant thought of combining both into one. He made a weapon that was both physically daunting as well as deadly, but also one that would allow for fights among tribe members without leading to death.

So the outside (outsiders) was deadly, while the inside (insider-tribes) was defensive. As the blades grew in popularity a balance was found in its deadliness with the use of it in the sword dance, which could also be used as a sort of duel, letting the competitors fighting through the sword dance instead of actual violence.  

Vylias
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2006, 08:54:00 »

Talias I posted it, but haven't made the changes yet. I'll do so asap. Let me know about any other suggestions.  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2006, 13:55:00 »

Another great entry, Vylias! Maybe I've said that before, but I like the way you describe weapons - very precise and to the point, very interesting.

This one especially helps to get another aspect of Shendar culture done, so after the bane whip we now have another elegant weapons in our repertoire - and as its an authorized weapon by Talia it surely is very much appreciated:)  - Also think it is a good idea to mention the sword dance here, it adds to the culture of the tribe and gives the weapon another perspective!

You say some things aren't integrated yet (though I don't see any comment of Talia right here...8o ), but there's at least one sentence that seems weird. This one I don't understand (especially what's inside the brackets):

"So the outside (outsiders) was deadly, while the inside (insider-tribes) was defensive."

A very cool weapon all in all, Vylias! Looking forward to the final touches to get it up! :D  :thumbup  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2006, 14:36:00 »

Art, :lol , we mailed already about this weapon and I like the idea of the double blade as well. But I have still some request as always and will do the comments here soon.

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2006, 16:28:00 »

First of all: It was simply a genial idea , to invent this double blades for the Shendar, (I would have never thought of it), for they FIT so well! The ai'nuvic is ridden without a reins, it doesn‘t tolerate anything on its head. You only put your feet at the base of the neck or at the side under some ropes, that‘s all. So the hands are free to use both swords, Shendar can possibly even stand up while riding  and fight this way.

Overview
The Double Kilij Maybe „Ki‘lij“, see discussion about characteristic languages ) is a curved blade that comes in pairs. It originates from the Shendar tribe and is mostly used by the men since the women usually prefer the Bane Whip. The blade is used in battle and in times of peace it usefulness circles on the beauty it contains when employed in the Shendar sword dance. It is both deadly and beautiful.

Would prefer it this way:
.".is mostly used, apart from the warriors - by men"...  so the warriors of both genders will have it, for they will have the whip and the sword.

Your next sentence is a bit ... too much like my latin book , maybe this way?

The blade was used successfully in many battles. However, it doesn‘t get rusty in times of peace. It usefulness circles on the beauty it contains when employed in the Shendar sword dance. It is both deadly and beautiful.

Employed sounds strange in my non-native-speaker ears, combined with sword dance; try not to use the same word twice (beauty, beautiful)

Description
The Double Kilij has a blade length of almost a fore, and curves out towards its tip spanning to nearly a palmspan at its widest point. The sword has a 'T' shaped cross section on the back of the blade that helps to give it greater strength. Despite the expansion of the width the metal is kept thin. The tip of the blade flares out causing a 'u' at the very top where the point on the left of the u is slightly higher than the right and more pointed. This part of the sword is called the yelman.

if possible, avoid T and u. I don‘t have a better idea though.
Isn‘t a fore (=33 cm) a bit short - again, I have no idea! lol

The hilt of the double kilij is thick with grooves made for the hand of the particular Shendar that wields it . That  makes  it slightly uncomfortable for no one but the original owner to wield perfectly The sword hilt is thin because across the hilt is a groove where the swords attach making them one sword. A warrior might choose to fight with the double kilij as one sword or separate it into two depending on the situation. It also makes it easier for carrying and deceiving opponents that are unfamiliar with the weapon.

These u-tips - do they part , if the (whole)sword is taken apart , so that each half has just one tip?

Usage
The double kilij is used by the Shendar tribe and apart from warriors of both gender mostly wield ed by the men. It is a weapon needed for dealings with outsiders who can only understand strength by weaponry. The kilij shows that because its deadliness is apparent in how it looks as well as how it is used.

Because of its length and its curvature?? it is a weapon which can be used both on foot and riding. Its curved blade is good for cleaving and swinging. The kilij is in every way an offensive weapon, though it can be used without killing, it is made to kill.

In times of peace the kilij is used in a sword dance. This is a competition, mostly among the men, where the wielder shows his agility and the beauty of the blade through a dance. It is a magnificent as well as dangerous dance where the best are invited to perform in ceremonies.

Fighting Style
Two-in-One: When the blade is attached by the hilt it can be used as a single sword. This can be useful when riding. Since one just needs to swing when going by. The curved shape is good for cleaving and the yelman strengthens the weapons ability to slice and make deeper wounds. Unfortunately the grip on the sword is harder to maintain in this form and so makes it easier for a person to unhand the weapon in face to face combat.

Double: using the weapon as two swords is the most useful. The weapon slices deep and has the ability to cleave things in two with greater ease because of its curved form. The tip can be used for hooking and jerking, a very brutal practice of the kilij. The width of the blade helps to deflect aerial attacks. The inside of the blade is used in order to hook swords and unarmed opponents. This part of the blade can be used to crush instead of cut if necessary.

One of the disadvantages of the weapons is that its attacks are mostly side attacks. The blade is not made for thrusting, so it therefore limits the motions the swords can attack from.

History/Origin
The weapon was invented by one of the men in the Siuu tribe. Interactions as merchants led to disputes and many of the men were attacked because they were seen as weak. The caused of the attacks was because as a society ruled by women they were looked down on. Seeing that the men of outside societies judged strength by violence the merchant knew that an appearance of strength was necessary.

This appearance of strength was invented with the kilij. Skirmishes and fights for territory that broke out among the tribes already called for a new weapon so the merchant thought of combining both into one. He made a weapon that was both physically daunting as well as deadly, but also one that would allow for fights among tribe members without leading to death.

So the outside (outsiders) was deadly, while the inside (insider-tribes) was defensive. As the blades grew in popularity a balance was found in its deadliness with the use of it in the sword dance, which could also be used as a sort of duel, letting the competitors fighting through the sword dance instead of actual violence.

Your history is very well thought through, I like especially that inside/outside detail. The Siuu were the best choice! The citizens of Strata can be an evil pack and look anyway down on the Shendar.
However, I still think, that it should be a woman who invented a weapon, with which one could actually fight in a defensive way, quite dangerous, but not deadly.

Could you think of such a weapon, which could be a fairly primitive forerunner of the Kilij? Maybe not double, but curved, not sharp outside, or anything like that (HELP!). Your merchant    could have then invented the Kilij, improved the old thing this much, that now it was deadly and beautiful, but could still be used in intertribal affairs?

I think I could come up with a good story of women forcing the use of the simple weapon for the rivalries of the tribes, when they were fairly young. It would give a good persons entry as well for the inventor of the Kilij, maybe you can even now invent a name (xxx, son of YYY, of the Shen-Siuu  - two female names needed!)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Vylias
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2006, 16:59:00 »

Thanks Art for the compliment. I'm glad to be of use in describing weapons. Their pretty fun to get into. I already have another weapon in mind as well. Which I'll probablye get to after the swords ant the cloth.

Talia Thanks so much for the comments I will get to them right away!! So many comments I love it. It really helps me Talia.  

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2006, 17:42:00 »

:)

I have to check the magic forum and think about how I can persuade the mages to make this cloth possible..it is not as easy as I thought..

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2006, 07:16:00 »

Hey, this weapon sounds quite like the butterfly swords (fore long, palmspan-wide blade, used in pairs).  One thing I don't quite get though, is how tip of the blade actually looks?  Does it curve back on itself, forming a hook?  I'm rather confused.  :veryconfused  

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2006, 07:49:00 »

Therefor I said it would make me not very happy to have a similar one suddenly arise ;)  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2006, 13:22:00 »

How's status here, Vylias? Got some time to work in Talia's comments?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2006, 13:42:00 »

She is gone, I need to write her a mail. I'm afraid it is not ready for upload. But if she shouldn't have the time to finish it in two weeks, I ask her, if I can do it (it is not much left), for I WANT this swords! :)  

Modhal Silnara

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2006, 15:25:00 »

Not to be rude Lady Talia, but its these swords.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2006, 15:58:00 »

That was rude, Drasil. A non native speaker is allowed to do now and then such a mistake , if she is in a hurry.  

Modhal Silnara

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2006, 16:06:00 »

I was just pointing out your mistake for future referance.  You see, it is my theory, by me bringing this up you are going to remember this as the time that very rude Drasil mentioned something about a clause I typed and you won't make the mistake as commonly.  Or at least thats my theory.  The side effecs may include Drasil geting whipped and beaten, but its all for the greater good. :D   Well at least thats my opinion.

Edited by: Modhal Silnara at: 5/21/06 0:08
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2006, 00:31:00 »

Drasil, my English is not THIS bad that you have to point out to me such simple things. Maybe watch better your own typing. Your are not perfect either.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]