Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Great Wolverine  (Read 3438 times)
Thalen Doomsbane

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 01 December 2001, 02:12:00 »

Great Wolverine

Appearance

The Great Wolverine appears somewhat like a small-sized bear.  Their large, rounded head has small eyes and short, rounded ears.  Feasting mostly on frozen meats and bone, these furry creatures have a mouth full of thirty-eight sharp teeth.  With short, muscular legs, The Great Wolverine has five toes on each foot, with long, razor sharp claws.  Like their cousins, the males are usually larger than females, weighing from 23 to 30kg, while females weigh from 13 to 24.
Thick and water repellant, Great Wolverine fur colors range from a dark gray, to a dark, night black, with a thick, golden stripe beginning from the top of the neck and ending at the end of it's long tail.

Special Abilities

Great Wolverines are much larger than their smaller cousins, but are just as ferocious.  With a combination of keen senses and incredible strength for it's size, The Great Wolverine is able to bring down creatures of a size much greater than it's own, making this animal a formidable opponent for both man and animal alike- Though reports of Great Wolverines dying to the hands of other members of the animal kingdom are few.

Great Wolverines are also skilled climbers, and stories of these creatures attacking from above are not uncommon- Though few survive to tell the tale.

Territory

The Great Wolverine can be found in Northern Sarvonia, mainly in rocky regions, such as the Imlith and Prominent Mountains.  Their fur is prized by many a hunter, and, if gained, is quite a valuable item, due to it's warmth and water-repellent qualities.  Many stories are heard of hunting parties leaving to reap the benefits of claiming the pelt of these great creatures, heading to the nearby mountains for weeks at time. Upon returning, some reports show that, due to the ferocity of this great creature, casualties are not uncommon.

Habitat/Behavior

Great Wolverines live in forested, mountainous regions.  When game is sparse, they relocate to more populated areas in search of food.  A cautious hunter should be wary when hunting in the mountainous northern regions which the Great Wolverine calls home, for where prey is abundant, they are surely there- Either searching for prey on the rocky earth, or silently hunting in the many trees, large and small, using their great senses of sight and smell to find their query.

The Great Wolverines are territorial, marking their areas with distinct-smelling urine.  When threatened, their anal musk glands are used defensively, sprayed with a raised-tail.  In combat, the combination of their stench and fierce cries have been known to make more than one seasoned fighter to fear for his life.

Diet

Capable of bringing down the largest of prey, Great Wolverines are mainly meat eaters, feasting on deer, elk, and other large game.  Also a forager, the Great Wolverine will eat the remains of dead animals brought down by other creatures, and, in some rare cases, has been known to scare packs of wolves from their kills.  Meat, when not available, is replaced by other means-  Nuts and berries are also consumed by these animals, the remnants of which are apparent in droppings found in the areas they reside.

Mating

Mating season runs through the end of spring to the beginning of summer, which, during this time, the males can be seen traveling alongside the females.  In a period of five months, the female gives birth to a littler of two to four kits, which, when born, have solid black fur.  The offspring will stay with the mother for a period of two to three years, until full maturity is reached, and, at that point, will go off on their own.

Well, this is my first attempt at a bestiary addition. ;)    
I hope it works!

Edited by: Thalen Doomsbane  at: 12/1/01 4:56:19 am
Ralhag Silverskin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2001, 02:35:00 »

Hmm, I was able to SCAN it, and I found no faults, but I havent given it my full attention, if I even have that.

But looks good....

Except...

You said the GW is the size of a medium sized bear.... But it only weighs like, what did it say, 25-30KGS???

Thats a small bear, or a medium sized dog.....

At yer service,

Ralhag

My dear friends: You want proof that I once was and still am the greatest assassin to walk on Sorren?                                          

Well, I AM still here...

Thalen Doomsbane

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2001, 02:37:00 »

Hrm.. Time to change that. 8o  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2001, 15:24:00 »

Nice work, Thalen, so it will move on to the site this update already:)

Some things I've looked up and perhaps should be mentioned somehwhere as well: Have keen senses and are very good climbers. Possess great strength, which allows them to bring down animals much larger than themselves. And finally: meat-eating is supplemented with berries and nuts.

If you could work these few things in, it will be ready;)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Thalen Doomsbane

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 December 2001, 22:57:00 »

Done and done, :D

If anything else needs to be changed, I'll hop right to it ASAP.

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 December 2001, 23:40:00 »

I like it, very good. Not really anything I could see that needs to be changed. You could add in some extra things, though it's not really required. Myths, stories, origin, something like that. I also like the fancy little signature thing, shiny. ;)  

The Top Three World Evils:1.Country Music2.Pop Music3.RIVERDANCE! AAHHH!

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 03 December 2001, 07:35:00 »

A tiny thing, but useful...if Art hasn't put it up already, perhaps he could add this..

Wolverine fur has the lovely and apparently unique quality of not frosting up when you breathe on it...it was very popular for hood linings among the native peoples of Canada because of this quality.  Should 'borrow' it for our Great Santharian cousins.... (grin)

Bard Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 03 December 2001, 07:56:00 »

Ok, Judith: borrowed:)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]