Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: New plant needed - grain  (Read 3417 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« on: 11 December 2001, 11:33:00 »

Wanted to do some santharian cookies and didn't find something I could add to the Doch Nut....so if you want some, invent the plant I need!

(Btw, are eggs for eating common here?)

"Don't be pushed by your problems.  Be led by your dreams."

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Theodorus Holzman

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2001, 14:15:00 »

I've just claimed the right to do this plant! Or does somebody else really, really, really want to do this?

"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune-they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures."

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 11 December 2001, 20:36:00 »

I just ran into the same thing, Talia!

We need a Koka Tree (for chocolate flavour), several grain plants (for flour) and of course butter,eggs, and the mundane stuff...

Way back when, I checked the Brownie recipies, and we do have 'ordinary' plants like potatoes, carrots (which are called orangeroots in Sorren), and onions.  So feel free to reinvent wheat and so on....  My dwarves also eat a lot of root vegetables, but their 'bread' is made out of powdered lichen and stale dwarf beer (shudder) so can't help you there.  We do have a Breadfruit Tree or something similar - can't remember the exact name, but the flesh of its gourd-like fruit is very doughy and can be mixed with flavourings and baked to produce a bread-like substance....

We have a pepper plant, sea salt, and we must have some other spices (scratching her head).  Maybe we need a 'food and diet' section, or at least a quick 'shopping list' section posted somewhere....

And by the way, I'd say we do have 'cows' and 'chickens' and 'horses', all necessary for a medieval society.  Tolkien didn't bother to recreate a 'pony-type-beast', after all....

Theo - go for the grain (or grains, we could use a couple).
I'll write up the Koka Tree.
Talia - what else do you need for a good cookie? (grin)

Can't wait for one of the first out of the oven...

Bard Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Eskon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2001, 22:48:00 »

Do you want a cinnamon or sugar-type spice? I think I could cook up something like that if you want me to. (Pun partially intended).

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2001, 17:02:00 »

Yes please, let the world be abundand of(?) good things!
A cardamom like spice would be great, but there was something spicey already.

Eggs would be fine!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2001, 06:13:00 »

WHY did I not think of sugar before?  Think we have a couple of sugar sources from maple-type trees....check the Herbarium (makes mental note) but no large-scale sugar cane or anything like it.....  And yes, we have to have cinnamon!  Garlic has to be invented, too....(grin)

Let's be creative though....spices and flavorings can come from:

leaves/bark/roots/seeds/seedpods/sap/tubers/flowers/berries/bulbs,  and why not pollen/veins/insect infections/needles/cones/nectar/ etc.?

Can be dried, ground, infused, decocted, distilled, grated, pressed, soaked, smoked, burnt, or treated magically as well...

Looking forward to those cookies.... just in time for the MidWinter Feast!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2001, 13:43:00 »

I think I have some of my incrediences secret till next year, lol

Bard Judith, your mentioning how many forms of preparing spices reminded me on the day I did my first meal after an English cookbook - I needed ages to finish this meal because I had to find out first what all these new words ment.

Almenda

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2001, 16:42:00 »

Hey, what about Nutmeg? Can't have a true Cristmas with out Eggnog! :)   I'll start one anyway. Wether you like it or not. ;)  

"If you can't do great things, do small things in a GREAT way."

Eskon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 December 2001, 22:54:00 »

Foridus Plant

The Foridus plant is a temperate-climate plant. It's average height is 2 feet in height, as straight stalks with a texture similar to bamboo. The Foridus is planted in the early spring, and spent about 3 weeks germinating before they sprout roots. The first shoots appear in 6-8 weeks, as small sticks with a grassy type top. The stalks continue growing until they reach their maximum height in midsummer, where they stop growing in height and start growing in width. At harvest time, the Foridus blossoms with purple flowers (described below), which designate that gathering time has come upon it. The stalk is cut and sap is extracted. The sap is very sticky and thick, with a cinnamon-type smell and taste. It can be used straight in the sap form for liquid cinnamon, but freezing takes place at 60 degrees Fahrenheit, it becomes a solid crystal. It is then crushed into a powder, where it becomes the common spice known as Foridite. It is used commonly on sweets and fruits. After blossoming, the plants soon die, so they are cut down before the snows fall.

Foridus Blossoms:
The flower that sprouts from the Foridus plant is about three-quarters the size of a human hand. Typically, it is a pale-to-medium shade of purple. It's simplistic beauty and availability make it a favorite of village girls to make a garland of or to wear it in their hair. Very rarely, with approximately 1 every 100,000 sprouts, there will be a white flower. Scientifically, the chromosones for pigment of the color are all recessive, making the plant white. The rarity of the plant is accounted in a moral, which states that even among something as commonplace as Foridus plants, something rare and magical can occur. Needless to say, one who has a white blossom is said to have good luck until his plants bloom again.

Is there a country that wants this as a major import/export?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]