Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Lorahough  (Read 4317 times)
Xarl
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 12 December 2001, 17:36:00 »

Appearance: Lorahough, or Fireblossom as it is sometimes called, is a red flower with orange leaves. In spring, Lorahough is only visible as a tiny green shoot. In summer, the flower practically explodes with growth. It got its name when a farmer, seeing a large patch blossom overnight, thought his fields were on fire. The petals and leaves are both very dry and soft once grown. Any cold snaps will kill the flower, but extreme heat is worse. The seed pods that will appear on the flower in late summer are extremely oily, and any extremely hot and dry periods will cause the pods to burst into flame. Also, shaking has about the same effect on the Lorahough seedpods. This is not all bad, for while the flower itself will die, the seeds within the pod will grow much better with the burnt remnants of the surrounding vegetation around it, as will any other survivors.
Territory: The Lorahough will grow in very arid places, but will in the absence of rich soil it will need other vegetation to fuel its growth.
Special Uses: Lorahough seed pods are prized fire starters (hey! The Santharian matches!), and several of the Mages of Ximax have discovered that they make an excellent ingredient for Fire-oriented spells. It has had a hard time staying in more civilized areas, as youths of a more mischevious disposition have used these for prank purposes. As such, it is rare to see one growing inside any city.
Importance: Worshippers of Foiros consider this plant somewhat holy, and one of thier many sacred tests involves being given one of the seed pods and setting it ablaze in the hand. Some of the more fanatic followers of the legend of the pheonix have even suggested that there is a relationship between the Bird of Flame and the Lorahough. The following poem is one of the more interesting comparisons.

Death and Rebirth
Bird and Flower
Fire in its purest form

Fire of Wind
Fire of Earth
Foiros' gifts to both

Both, from the ashes
Of the parent-self
Will return and grow again

Deadly and Beautiful
Blessing and Curse
All that Fire truly is.

Death of Earth
Birth of Wind?
Only She knows.

How about it?

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride
Owner of the longest sig in Santharia

Edited by: Xarl at: 12/21/01 2:52:29 am
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2001, 06:30:00 »

Um...one question, Xarl.

If you need extreme heat to ignite one of these....and you need to ignite one in order to start a fire...

er... where does that first extreme heat come from?

Could there perhaps be another way of igniting these?  Because I really like the idea of a biological 'match'.

Perhaps if they are shaken excessively?  Which would make transporting them risky - keeping them a luxury crop... or meaning that each seed has to be kept separately in a small stasis field (magic, natch)....

And then any heavy wind would ignite them naturally, and windy conditions are best to spread fire (and blow light seedpods further), so the plant can grow under more favourable conditions....

Well, just my two kwai's worth....  let me know what you decide.

Bard Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2001, 17:20:00 »

My dear Bard, you think of things I would have never thought of. This is a very good idea, and would make the things even more representive of Fire as a whole! I think that this would make an excellent add-on, and I'll tack them on now.

Xarl Bluestride, Archmage of the White Arcana, Master of the Magic Forum, and generally cool guy. All requests are to be written on the back of a ten-dollar bill (or equivelant thereof) placed on a dead ferret, and tossed in the sewer system.
Xarl Bluestride

Theodorus Holzman

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 December 2001, 05:21:00 »

Where would we be without our Great Bard?

"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune-they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures."

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 December 2001, 17:01:00 »

FORTY-TWO! Damn... doesn't work... I dunno, maybe in Canada?

Xarl Bluestride

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2001, 19:50:00 »

Alright, can this be included in the next update?

Xarl Bluestride

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2001, 10:43:00 »

Very interesting plant, please develope it further!
the only thing....I never know how many degrees Fahrenheit are how many degrees in Celsius....only know that paper starts burning at 451 F.

"Don't be pushed by your problems.  Be led by your dreams."

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
legolas acher

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2001, 10:54:00 »

Sounds a nice little plant if not a bit dangerous. I take it is a desert plant by the description would it be possible to name a few locations??

LEGOLAS:" Uragels offical translator"life is like the flight of an arrowmake it true

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2001, 18:12:00 »

Actually, this is a plant that can be found in many places. As the pods are light, the wind might catch them and blow them away, but after a while either the wind will drop them (Instant fireball) or a severe enough current...will... IDEA!
If these are carried up very high and the wind buffets them enough, the pods burst into flame in midair, producing the shooting star effect! Man, you think for a second and BAM! An idea. Gotta stop thinking for a while though, the ideas are starting to leave craters on me.

Xarl Bluestride

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 21 December 2001, 19:54:00 »

Xarl - sorry, take out the reference to degrees altogether, whether in F or C.  We DON;T HAVE THEM in Santharia!

Oops, sorry to shout.  This whole numbers/measurement thing is getting frustrating!

How about a circumlocution there, like 'around the time water would boil' or something?

If you let me do that little edit, then I can get it into HTML today and on Art's desk for the next update.....

(bats eyes at Xarl and poises her red-ink quill pen...)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Xarl
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 December 2001, 20:51:00 »

*makes wierd motion in midair, Diegogeid appears and devours the red pen, explodes shortly afterwards*
Degrees are already gone, M'dear Bard.

Xarl Bluestride

Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 December 2001, 10:41:00 »

Brinning this back to new for Artimidor,  This was Xarl's entry not mine and should be changed on the site.  Sorry it took so long to bring it up.  I have been gone for a few days.

Ideas are funny little things.  They won't work unless you do.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 31 December 2001, 11:49:00 »

Ah, sorry. Only the text at the Web History was wrong, not at the entry. Will be changed this update.

Santharian Webmaster & Forum Admin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]