Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Totit - desert plant  (Read 2960 times)
Anaea the Marked

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 25 December 2001, 10:30:00 »

Totit:
Coming almost to the knee of most adult humans, standing about one half ped in height, Totit has been used by the tribes of east Aerullin for generations for both a food source and a medication. Despite its generous numbers, the tribes have not been able to domesticate the plant or grow it in easily harvestable fields.

Description:
A rough and enduring plant, the Totit is one of the few plants that survive in the harsh eastern Aerullin deserts. Its strength of endurance is mirrored in the thickness of the heavy brown stalk of the plant. Numerous small almond-shaped green leaves cover the plant, giving the surrounding pale sands a shading of green life. A large pink or orange blossom blooms twice a year, sending the microscopic seeds everywhere on the harsh desert winds.

Height: 0.5 peds
Growth rate: matures twice a year- fully grown in two seasons [half -year]
Fertilization: tiny seedpods are released twice a year. Plants have both male and female attributes, but genetics do not allow the plant to fertilize itself.
Blossom: pink or orange depending on the region of the plant. Orange usually grows in the northern deserts while pink is mostly found in the south. The flower is also used to create a disinfectant lotion when dried and mixed with oil.

**TERRITORY**
Totit grows in eastern Aeullin, thriving in the hot dry climate.

**USAGES**
IT is used in a variety of ways by several desert tribes:
The stem is dried in the sun and then ground into a fine powder. The powder is then blended with spiced water and cooked, resulting in flat bread.
The leaves are dried and crushed. When mixed with hot water, totit-leaf creates a colorfast green dye for cloth.
The blossom is dried and ground into fine powder. When combined with oil, it creates a potent disinfectant lotion.
Only the nomadic Sor’inyt tribe uses the root. It is soaked, pounded and spun into a fine fiber, then woven into a soft expensive cloth the Sor’inyt call Yuatu’way.

Edited by: Anaea the Marked at: 12/31/01 4:01:31 am
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2001, 04:52:00 »

Okey-dokey, Anaea, comments coming up.  Great plant, and a useful addition to the desert herbary.  My additions, edits,  and rewrites will be in CAPS so that they stand out   ;)      Sorry, coz I know it looks rude!  However, since I don't know how to put anything in italics....(blush)...  By the way - I like your picture - very interesting!

T O T I T
----------------------------
Coming almost to the knee of most adult humans, (or - STANDING ABOUT HALF A PED IN HEIGHT)  Totit has been used by the tribes of east Aerullin for generations for both a food source and a medication. Despite its generous numbers, the tribes have not been able to DOMESTICATE THE PLANT OR GROW IT IN EASILY-HARVESTABLE FIELDS.

Description:
A rough and enduring plant, the Totit is one of the few plants that survive in the harsh eastern Aerullin deserts. Its strength of endurance is mirrored in the THICKNESS of the heavy brown stalk of the plant. Numerous small almond-shaped green leaves cover the plant, giving the surrounding pale sands a SHADING of green life. A large pink or orange blossom blooms twice a year, sending the microscopic seeds EVERYWHERE ON the harsh desert winds.

Height: 0.5 peds
Growth rate: matures twice a year- fully grown in two seasons [half -year]
Fertilization: tiny seedpods are released twice a year. Plants have both male and female attributes, but genetics do not allow the plant to fertilize itself.
Blossom: pink or orange depending on the region of the plant. Orange USUALLY grows in the northern deserts while pink IS MOSTLY FOUND IN THE south. THE flower is also used to create a disinfectant LOTION when DRIED AND MIXED WITH OIL.

**TERRITORY**
Totit grows in eastern Aeullin, thriving in the hot dry climate.

**USAGES**
IT is used in a variety of ways by several desert tribes:
The stem IS dried in the sun and then ground into a fine powder.  THE POWDER is then blended with spiced water and cooked, resulting in a flat bread.
The leaves ARE dried AND CRUSHED.  WHEN MIXED WITH HOT WATER, TOTIT-LEAF CREATES A COLOURFAST green dye for cloth.
The blossom IS dried and ground into fine powder. When combined with OIL, it creates a potent disinfectant LOTION.
The root IS used only by the nomadic Sor’inyt tribe. IT IS SOAKED, POUNDED AND SPUN INTO A FINE FIBER, THEN WOVEN  into a soft EXPENSIVE cloth THE SOR'INYT call Yuatu’way.

Thanks for the work, and nice to see you've done your background research (grin) so that only minor changes are needed.  Hope those changes all meet with your approval!  

Regards from Bard Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2001, 06:35:00 »

How to do italics and bold things, Judith: Click on "Use EzCodes" on the left of the reply textbox - here you'll see how to do all those funny things;)  

Santharian Webmaster & Forum Admin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2001, 08:22:00 »

(grin) thanks, Art...

and Anaea...

I read thru everything in order, so I read this before the entry on the Sor'inyt, where your most recent edit was...

And it has all the details and a lot of the changes (blush) so just use whichever parts of my edit you find more probable and disregard the ones that don't fit with your warrior women.  The Sor'inyt entry is indeed very detailed and wonderfully written.  I'm hoping for separate entries for those other plants?  The desert is really blooming around here lately!

Regards from the Bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Anaea the Marked

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2001, 18:11:00 »

Ah! GREAT!!!!
Oh you’re so wonderful! I could kiss you! [sorry but I don’t go that way ;)  [:laugh:] anyway- back to my point, love your little fixes- they sound so much better then my original thoughts. :)
I like the change to disinfectant lotion from potion! It sounds less...[struggling for word] “watery”. A salve works MUCH better. :sigh: wish I had thought of that in the first place...

If you don’t mind- I think I will use most [if not ALL] of your “corrections”. And yes, you can expect different entries for the plants...  - :o  just haven’t found the time to work on my other baby plant. :)  I plan on having it out around the middle of next week.

Anaea the Marked

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2001, 21:39:00 »

and thank you for the compliment!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2001, 11:50:00 »

Ok, please bring the entry to final shape, then we can put it up next update:)  

Santharian Webmaster & Forum Admin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Anaea the Marked

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 December 2001, 22:02:00 »

hmm here it is. i don't THINK i have more to add... thanks art! :)

"Popai n'o sonko ligta luc for'is a ment'ik, popai o sonko lighta lac o mart."
Sor'inyt saying - "Ask not why the sun sets, but why it rises."

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]