Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Cacciatore  (Read 10466 times)
Butch Von Buckler

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 16 December 2001, 02:49:00 »

This is my first time doing any thing like this so if I have done any thing wrong, tell it to me so I can do better.

Cacciatore

Appearance: A Cacciatore has greenish blue skin that is thick and feels like leather. Its eyes are red and most of the time can clearly be seen, through the deepest of dark. Most are extremely muscular. It also has hair that is usually worn in dreadlocks, and is dipped in the blood of slugs, and many other bugs found in the caverns, right before a hunt. It also has horns that expel from its head, One for every two years they has been alive, and they also will expel from the neck and higher back. The horns of a female are light green and the horns of a male are dark green.  The female Cacciatore has an average size of six feet tall, while the male has an average size of five feet tall.

Special Abilities: The Cacciatore can see perfectly in the dark. It can also easily distinguish the echoing sounds of the caverns and it uses these abilities in the hunt. It’s extremely proficient with its trident, which is six and a half feet in length and kept very sharp. It also has a huge amount of strength and could probably rip a man in half.

Territory: The Cacciatore can be found in caverns, from all around the world. The entrances to the caverns they live in are generally in wooded areas or close by a wooded area. They can be found in all kind of climates, their leather like skin acts as insulation to keep both cold and hot from altering their body temperature. Usually one would be found deep in the caverns, but if there is water to be found closer to the surface, they might be found there because of a closer food source. They are almost never found any where near light.

Diet: The Cacciatore eats a large variety of creatures. Almost any game it can find in the cavern it will eat, but it prefers to hunt large game that either puts up a fight, or that has to be chased down. The Cacciatore’s favorite meal, however rare it may be, is Dragon. They are rarely capable of killing a Dragon, so in its absents they adore eating Humans, Elves and other intelligent two legged beings that put up a fight.

Habits/Behaviors: The Cacciatore, despite being an instinct driven beast, is an extremely proficient hunter. The whole civilization of the Cacciatore is based on hunting.
They also live to be in the six-hundreds.

They communicate by series of loud clicks and hand signals.
Each female has a male that protects the children while the female is gone and basically serves as a slave to the female. This male is chosen by the female, based on how will he obeys her clicks and hand signals. If two females want the same male they will fight over him, and if one gives up the other gets the male, other wise they fight to the death.

The Cacciatore live in packs that can, but rarely, grow to great sizes. In each pack there is a primitive city, if you wish to call it that, were they live. They have the ability to make tridents and small tools, but know not, and care not, to know how to do much else but hunt. There is always one leader, the biggest and strongest female of the group. The leader is decided by combat, and any time another female wants to take leadership she will challenge the leader by killing the leader’s male. If the leader accepts this challenge, she will charge at the challenger and the fight will commence right there. This battle usually goes on for quite a long time, and it will last until one of them is dead.

A group of females leave every night to hunt for their pack. Depending on the size of their pack, the hunting party can range from a group of five to a group large enough to wipe out cities. They pack rarely get large enough to were they wipe out whole cities to eat. The hunting parties often will go out of their way to get the larger, harder prey. The most frequent place for the Cacciatores to hunt at is above ground, were the intelligent two legged people are.

Because they are used to the closed in areas of the caverns and the darkness, they tend to stay in caverns that the entrance/exit is in a forest. They are generally more comfortable in closed in areas, and can not survive in the light. So this being the fact they are not will known around the world and any one who sees one usually dose not live tell the story.

The children are treated very poorly. They, after one year after their birth, have to do most things for them selves. The females commonly will bring home a live animal for the children to kill, and fight over. Many times the female may kill any male child, if it bothers her or gets in her way. The female children are forced to fight bigger animals, and sometimes other children, in order to make her in to a strong hunter.

Mating: In mating, the females mate with the males they have chosen, as said earlier. They only mate once in every thirty years and can have up to ten children, that only about two maybe three will survive the harsh treatment they receive.

Origin: It has been fabled that they are distant relatives to the elves, although this is just one of many fables, it is also rumoured that they are the result of orc and elven half breeds. However their true origins are unknown as people studying them tend to become their meals, and there are no elven records that disprove, or approve any of the fables. This could have just been convenient for the elves at the time. It’s not likely that elves would admit to such a race being relatives of elves.

This Journal was found lying under a pile of human bones by an Elven wanderer.  Some pages were ripped and barely readable, while others were missing altogether.  A group of Bestiary researchers pieced it together, rewrote it as close to the original as possible and came up with a conclusion.  They believed this was an account of the rarely seen Cacciatore.  Here is the revised version of said Journal.

Journal of Researches Anomen, Barnabus and Belate.

Day One Of The Caverns
Anomen, Barnabus and I have traveled long to reach these particular caverns.  We have listened to all the rumors of the old and young and have come to the joint conclusion that what we seek to find may be here.  We found traces of tracks leading into the caverns.  The tracks appear to have been made by a biped animal, roughly the size of a human but weighing more.  Studying the foliage and forest area around the entrance to the caverns we found traces of skin that appeared to have a greenish tint, and had the feel of leather.  It is almost time to move forward, our lanterns are full and we have a 5-day supply of reserve oil.  When we stop for the day I will write of what discoveries we may have found.

Day One Evening

We walked until our legs could take us no farther.  It was dark as death once we were past the first curve of the caverns, and thus we began to rely on the light of our lanterns.  We have seen un usual slugs of every shape and color.  The deeper we have traveled into this cavern the more it feels like a lair.  The slugs live in small holes in the walls of the cave, and have bright colors that glow in this resistant darkness.   The path way is well worn.   About mid day we had come upon a junction that split into 3 directions.  We stopped to take on nurtiousment and discuss which direction to go.  While eating our meal we heard some clicking noises but it was difficult to decipher from whence they came.  We finally decided on the middle path, as it seemed to be the source of the noises.  The path we had choicen began to slop down and a faint whiff of odor began to drift up to us.  The smell has become nauseating, causing us to pull out strips of cloth to cover our faces with.  I have dipped mine in some of my graft to filter the smell, hoping to be able to fall asleep.  My intuitive feelings are arguing that we should turn back, that this is not a fair idea to continue.  But my logical side says we have come to far to turn back now.

Day Two Morning

Anomen has declined any thing to eat.  He went into a corner of the cavern that we slept in and lost his last nights supper.  Barnabus and I nibbled on some dry beef and drank the stale water that we had brought.  Anomen wants to turn back; he believes our lives are in danger.  During the night he believes he heard clicks and movement in the walls of the cave.  He states that he also heard a mans pleas for mercy.  Barnabus and I have convinced him that it was just a bad dream brought on by the dark, damp smell.  We go now.  

Day three evening

(Editors note:  Day two evening and day three morning, were unreadable and parts were missing.  Not wanting to embellish this story we simply left it out)

We still have seen only traces of Anomen.  After finding the drag marks in the floor of the cavern we have feared the worse.  We did find his pack, ripped apart and scattered on the cavern floor.  His lantern was smashed almost beyond recognition.  For now Barnabus and I are stopping, the smell has become not so nauseating, perhaps we are becoming used to it.

Day Four Morning

I am alone!  Barnabus is missing.  Everything he carried with him is gone.  I shall continue by myself.  
(Editors note:  Once again passages are missing and unreadable)

Day six

They are still watching me.  I know it.  I have tried to loose them.  I haven’t stopped for the longest time.  I am guessing at the day, for I am unsure.  I can’t write long, I have to keep moving.  Can’t stop for long.

Day Seven

The smell once again has increased.  I found a small pool of moving water, finally some water to refresh me with.  I may make it out of here alive after all.  I have to find my way to the surface.  I found another smashed lantern today.  I think it was Barnabus.  There was blood on the walls.  Trails of blood on the cavern floor.  

Day seven later

I have come upon a large open cavern.  From where I am, barely peering over the edge, I am approximately 50 feet from the base of this cavern.  Peering up it looks to be about 30 feet to the roof of said cavern.  There are tiers about every 10 feet from the base, with ledges about 5 feet deep.  Each tier has approximately 10 openings.  I had come out of the pathway onto one of these ledges.  Glancing around to make sure I was unobserved, I lay down on my stomach and edged forward to look down into the cavern.  My heart stopped and my breath was caught in my throat.  It was a lair.  I had to strangle back the scream that threatened to escape my stupid mouth.  I was looking down upon hideous creatures.  There were dozens of 2-legged greenish blue skinned creatures, with horns ranging from their foreheads to the middle of their back.  The smaller ones had fewer horns.  The horns were different colors, some were light green and others were dark green.  Their sizes ranged from small child like, to over 2 peds.  I watched in horror as one of the largest of the creature with the dark green horns reaching to the middle of its muscular back picked up one of the smaller creature with light green horn and began ripping it apart.  From what I could see there was no provocation for this action.  The small creature has simply been in the path of the larger creature.  I have pulled back into the pathway from which I came, I can watch no more, nor do I have the strength to go back.  Not right now, I must rest, my body cries out for it.  I am beginning to think that these are the creatures that very little but myth is known about.  The true hunter, the carnivore Cacciatore.

(Editors note:  The rest of the journal unfortunletly was next to impossible to read or decipher, except for the following small entry at the very end)

I am lying on a bed of bones.  Not all the bones are human; I fear my bones may soon join these.  I almost escaped, I had turned my lantern on to depart and as the light swung around it came upon one of the hideous creatures.  Its eyes were slits of red and it bellowed out in pain as the light hit its eyes.
It reacted with amazing agility for its size and it was the last I remember till waking in this dark, dank hole.  I will continue to write till whatever fate ………

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams him self your master."

CLICK FOR MY CHARS INFO

Edited by: Butch Von Buckler  at: 12/16/01 5:04:54 am
legolas acher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2001, 17:44:00 »

Ok the bits you have read are great but I have a few questions.

1) Are they a race of a creature? They read like a creature (cousin of elves) if so wrong thread.

2) Where abouts in Santharia are they based?

3) The journal was that the elves that a great army attacked? If so way did it take days to end?

4) When did the great battle occur?

5) Which elven tribe did it involve? Uregal or Wren could possibly help you there.

6) Who attacked the Elves?

I will leave it at that for now .

Please take this as constructive critisim I am only trying to help  

LEGOLAS:" Uragels offical translator"life is like the flight of an arrowmake it true

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2001, 18:53:00 »

Legolas got most of it. You need more detail for some of the additional information, but the necessary catergories look good.

Tarquet Galbar, BeastMaster Of Santharia, He Who Rules The Animals.

Uragel

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2001, 20:35:00 »

It's a great start! There are some areas that Legolas suggested need to be cleared up, whether they are a species of intelligent animal or a race. Where they are located, not just what type of living conditions / places that they require / use.

I'll try to help you as much as I can with the elven cousin bit. Need to figure out *where* they are and then what time frame they 'split' and then we can try and figure out which tribe/s they were dealing with :)

Great start though!

Uragel!
Herbarium Mistress, Santharian World Development Moderator - Art's Little Helper
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.
And then do what the women did.Character Description

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2001, 20:44:00 »

I'm really not sure if they would work as cousins of elves, or really relatives for that matter. The green, leathery skin is really about as far from elven as you can get. Maybe they were already in the cave and ate the elves or something?

Excellent work on the journal, by the way. It really seems more rushed and more scared as it goes on, nice touch. A very fine peice of writing.

Tarquet Galbar, BeastMaster Of Santharia, He Who Rules The Animals.

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 12/16/01 2:48:28 am
Butch Von Buckler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2001, 23:03:00 »

First I changed the following: Origin, Location

Now legolas to answer your questions.

#1 Tried to fix this in The Origin edit
#2 Tried to fix this in the Location edit
#3 I dont know if you read the Journel before I edited it the first time, but please look over it. Either way there is no longer a battle like before.
#4 Took out the battle
#5 Took care of this in origin, its total unknown, and the elves would likely deny the beast had anything to do with them.
#6 Once again I edited out the Battle
thx Legolas for the questions, if you have more please as them

Tarquet Galbar what needs to be more detailed and Ill work on it.

Uragel I fixed your questions in Location

Now, the part I hate! Tarquet Galbar... I didn't do all of the Journal... Dawn Myst of Myth redid what I had with my help. So please give her the credit for the almost perfect Journel.

Also THX URAGEL FOR ALL YOUR HELP! AND THX DAWN FOR ALL YOUR HELP

If there is ANYTHING else please say something, I want to get this as good as I can. Be mean say every little thing wrong you can about them.

thx every one

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams him self your master."

CLICK FOR MY CHARS INFO

Uragel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2001, 05:00:00 »

So they are like a 'sub-race'.

Race > Sub-Species > Beasts > Bugs

Type thing?

Uragel!
Herbarium Mistress, Santharian World Development Moderator - Art's Little Helper
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 17 December 2001, 20:21:00 »

Butch:  Some pros and cons for you, from my perspective:

Pro: the writing is excellent, and a creative way to add detail to your description.   The creature is also  given interesting characterization, albeit not completely novel.  .  The name, though,  reminds me of a type of food, for some reason....am I just hungry, or isn't there a kind of Italian pasta called Cacciatore?  Anyhow - excellent work.

HOWEVER:

Con:  Dwarves currently inhabit whatever inhabitable caverns there are that aren't occupied by Pyserpents, and would not be very impressed with a long-living, intelligent, vicious and organized society also dwelling in caverns .  

I'm concerned about the balance of power on Santharia, as I've stated before - not simply for my Theregerims' sakes, but for all the races.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Warning - Rant follows !  (Bard gets out her handy soapbox again)  Do not consider this directed at you in particular, Butch - this has happened several times already (wry look)
---------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE!  Can we consider very strongly whether new races should even be allowed?  Sub-races, intelligent animals (such as bird-men, lizard-men, and all the rest of these semihumanoids) and so on could still be developed in limited detail for the sake of gamers who wish to play them as characters or 'require' them for antagonists.  But as far as creating new races from scratch, as I've said before and will say again -   IT TAKES A PHENOMENAL AMOUNT OF WORK - and despite the detail and work in Butch's contribution, it does not even begin to compare to the sheer mass of material and integration provided for, say, the Brownies.

Only so many 'races' fell from the Leaves of the Great Tree - we cannot keep adding and reworking the entire Santharian creation myth for the sake of a few novelty characters!

Artimidor - I appeal to you - I know none of us wish to discourage creativity and the desire to help Santharia grow.  But I'm not certain this is the way to do it.  We would be sacrificing depth, detail, and 'reality' for the sake of breadth and a taste for the bizzare.  History, stories, art, and all the rest of the universe have been integrated, polished, and developed to such an amazing degree up to this point by people immersed in the Dream;  I cannot see trying to 'bend' what already exists around a few inconsistent and poorly articulated offerings.

So far there has been a consistent and powerful vision overarching this fantasy creation - the lovely universe of Aer'e'chan (forgive the spelling errors) - and I would not want to see that dissipated in a host of D&D imitations and RP game rip-offs.   The Dream is unique - compelling - beautiful - please let us respect that beauty in its entirety.

With deepest respect and regard,

Bard Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Butch Von Buckler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2001, 09:51:00 »

Hmm. Well im not giong to say I am not disapointed, But oh well Ill get over it. Just tryin to help.

CLICK FOR MY CHARS INFO

Uragel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2001, 10:08:00 »

It wasn't directly aimed at you mate.. I believe that Judith Bard was just making a 'pointed comment'...

Perhaps some tweeking so that they live in dark places - or high in the trees and only come out in the dark.. and also a little more "animalistic" and taking out reference to other races?

Talk on ICQ next time we're both on and I'll see if I can help any more - maybe they were the creation of a spell going wrong?

Uragel!

legolas acher

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 December 2001, 13:47:00 »

Butch your work is really really good. Just needs tweeking here and there. Judiths rant was not directed at you but just pointing things out to us all.

What if they live in the rim of a dorment / extinct volcanoe????

That could mkae then different..

LEGOLAS:" Uragels offical translator"life is like the flight of an arrowmake it true

Butch Von Buckler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 December 2001, 15:21:00 »

Ok first, I was not griping or gettin my feeling hurt over anything. (I got an email sayin thats what it looked like)
Now there seems to be a great deal of people that think they are to close to a race. I dont quite understand this but thats fine. And there is so much that is though to be wrong about this beast. So I was going to drop it, and sleek back why I still can.

***Now there is one thing that give me a dirty look every time I see it.***
"and I would not want to see that dissipated in a host of D&D imitations and RP game rip-offs"

Now first I wanna say I know you said that not all this is directied at me but! was this?? because as far as I know this beast concept is a unique one.

Now once again i would like to thank all of you for your help and your comments. Im sorry to those that helped me that It didnt work out.

CLICK FOR MY CHARS INFO

Edited by: Butch Von Buckler  at: 12/17/01 9:24:02 pm
legolas acher

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 December 2001, 16:08:00 »

The quote you mention:

"and I would not want to see that dissipated in a host of D&D imitations and RP game rip-offs"

Was part of Judiths GENERAL rant about things going on in the site not directed at your creature or you.

As for your creature I think people thought it was clode to a race because you stated that it a cousin of the Elves and as elves are a race etc etc etc

I think the general work on these beasts is good and with a little work could be an excellent beast.

I will give any help I can if you would like it and I am sure others would too.

As for recieving the email to the fact you were hurt  and gripping etc they should have posted it hear and I am sure you would have got alot of support

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 18 December 2001, 16:59:00 »

Sorry for being a bit late to answer here, Butch! Once again I repeat: Don't take this general comment personally, Butch! Well, if I would have taken certain things personally, there sure would be no Santharian Dream as it is now. So, lesson 1: Don't take anything too personally:)  Sit back and relax! We appreciate the work you've put into your ideas and I know you as a loyal Santharian, doing your best to support the RPG Forum with nice character pics, so get used to constructive criticism, but don't mix it up with things Judy tries to express for new races in general. "And I would not want to see that dissipated in a host of D&D imitations and RP game rip-offs" is not directed at you.

Bard Judith speaks about limiting new races in general and I agree with her. I already put an end to additional lands, new isles, continents etc. in order to develop what we have. We now should also concentrate on elaborating what we have on races instead of creating new ones. We'd have 652.241 races within a year or two if we don't restrict it now.

Well, this entry in fact more resembles a race than a beast. You speak of civilization and of tridents etc. and I don't know any beast which has civilization and tridents:)  Soooo... This would indeed be a race I guess and we should treat it as one. And it should be the last one for a while we add to the races section (and so we'd have to change the entry in the races direction). I don't think that anyone wanted to stop your creativity in this particular case.

You are a bit unspecific e.g. on the territory - "all around the world" isn't very accurate. I would suggest to place it somewhere specific (Northern Sarvonia e.g.) and maybe take in some suggestions still coming up here etc.

And though you said that you've given up with the entry I simply ignore that;)  - Take it easy, Butch!

Santharian Webmaster & Forum Admin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
legolas acher

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 December 2001, 17:10:00 »

Butch I urge you to continue on this project.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]