Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A dwarf for the Master Bard.  (Read 2621 times)
Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 10 February 2002, 11:27:00 »

I realize that this is in the wrong section, but I wanted to make sure you saw it. Here is what I have so far, and what has been on the site for ages....

"......Because of the harsh environment they live in, some of the Aeolian Brownies have chosen to be magically enlarged to human size. Whisper's mother was a Redbark that had thus chosen, standing a few fingerwidths taller than the average human woman. Whisper's father was a dwarven refugee, like so many others, taken in by the Aeolians and accepted as one of their own........."

I am going to be rewriting this entry, and I desperately need your input.

1. I know that dwarves generally cannot interbreed with other races. Is there any way that the use of Lifemagic could make rare (only among Void Brownies, and rare even there)exceptions to this? What physical/otherwise changes would have to be made to make this possible? What would be some of the effects and side-effects?
2. If you are willing to let me keep my half-dwarf, would you please create her father for me? I would much rather he be authenticly dwarven.

Brownie Expert

Edited by: Greybark at: 2/9/02 5:29:09 pm
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2002, 04:12:00 »

Delighted to do so, dear BrownieMaster....

As you say, a rare but courteous exception could indeed be made (rather like the effort that went into creating Spock, the half Vulcan/half human....)

I have some possible ideas but would like to look carefully at my entries first to check the biological detail.

I assume Brownies reproduce like humans, but on a smaller scale?  Any peculiarities need to be reported to me now so I can work on the cross....

And yes, I'll create a dwarf daddy - do you want a character sketch and name and all from scratch?  

Will start thinking about it as of now!

Regards from the Bard

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2002, 06:35:00 »

All right, the thought is the deed with the bard....  no sooner said than done.  See what you think and make any necessary changes/additions/suggestions!

I've tried to do my research and be as respectful to your prior creations as possible - so please be as picky as you like!

Regards - Bard Judith

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Overview

Bluetwine (AKA Shardeye Nolhunyeh,  known aboveground as Shardeye Bluetwine and eventually only as Bluetwine the Aeolian)

A Tenthrum Thergerim (dwarf) who was to become the father of the half-Brownie who invented void communication.  See entry on Whisper.  Originally born near Kor Donion, much-travelled and eventually resided and died in the Aoelian Brownie community.

Born (    ??      ) -   Died (  ??    )   He would be about 60 at the end of adolescence, would have wandered for maybe another 30 years, so make him 90 - 100 years old when he meets his wife.  So count back about that much from Whisper’s b-date!  He lived to be 220, by the way... probably much outliving his Brownie spouse, sadly....)

Biography

Bluetwine was born “Shardeye Nolhunyeh” to the Tenthrum Dwarf clan in the Kor Donion area.  Even as a child he was tall and taciturn for a dwarf, and often broke down in angry tears for no apparent reason that he could communicate.  When he was old enough to go above ground for the first time (at 30 dwarven years of age) and then flatly refused to go below again, it became clear that the dwarven boy was claustrophobic - an almost-unheard-of condition among the Thergerim.  Work as a miner was out of the question, so he was set to help the granthers and grannies with the gardens (some of the most open areas in the typical dwarf cavern).  However, the boy remained sullen and depressed, and took to creeping out to the exit tunnels whenever he could escape from the head gardener’s sharp eye.  Eventually the Council decided to foster the boy out, and he was apprenticed to a Brownie woodworker in the nearby Rimmerin Ring area, doing the heavy (for Brownies) labour and hauling.  After a while he was trusted with mortise and tenon work on beams, then finer joinery, and by the end of his Baregozar (dwarven period of adolescence)  became a skilled carver.  
Shardeye never went back underground and dissolved all bonds with his clan, even turning away from the dwarven beliefs of TolBarol and the Stonefathers.  As a symbol of this rejection of all things troglyoditic, he had himself tattooed profusely with indigo tendrils and vines, with day-loving flowers breaking out here and there on his flesh.  At this point in his life he was to acquire the new appellation “Bluetwine”, which he would use from then on.    Shardeye Bluetwine received his master joiner’s rank from the Kor Donion Brownies, and took formal leave of his friends and accquaintances there.
At this point his history is unclear.  It is believed that he wandered most of the Santharian continent, looking for a place to settle and practice his craft, a lonely and rebellious misfit.  Unwilling to live with dwarves, unwelcome by men, Bluetwine spent time moving from place to place, paying his way with intricately carved and joined picture and window frames, which were characterized by fantastic animals, beasts, and tendrils reminiscent of the elaborate tattoos on his body.   He may have spent some time with the desert nomads, as pieces of what is believed to be his work have been found among the trading communities there.   However it happened, he eventually found his way to the continent of Aeruillin, and was taken in, like many refugees before him, by the Aoelian Brownies at the edge of the Etherial Void.
Their ascetic lifestyle did not disturb him, and he was finally able to find acceptance among the great variety of folk who only judged people by their skills and attitudes rather than cultural mores or racial background.  The Bluebark tribe members adopted him formally after hearing his wry joke that since his skin was already mostly blue, he would fit right in..  He adapted his joinery to more practical chair and table construction, but his creations were always marked by the distinctive tendril patterns along their limbs and spindles.
It may be that his time with the Brownies of Kor Donion was dear enough to him to prejudice him towards the small, easy-going people.  At any rate, he not only found friendship, work, and a home, but love.  Ashberry was a stunning Redbark female Brownie who had gone through Mage-Growth (a magically-assisted size enhancement).   With her deep orange-red skin and cinnamon-coloured eyes, Ashberry attracted many glances, but she found the taciturn, bearded craftsman who seemingly only cared for his wood and his tools a fascinating change.  
It was not long after they wed that they decided to create a child together as a token of their love.  Realizing the inherent difficulties, they enlisted the resources of the community to assist them.  Ashberry and Bluetwine went through the Ennkafer, or the Thergerim ritual of prenatal care, as well as the various Brownie practices, and even the religious observances.  Bluetwine was tested, observed, and finally required to wear a special symbol-worked groinshield for the month prior to conception.   A skilled geneticist, a direct descendant of the famous Leatherleaf, worked closely with both Brownie and Dwarven mages to do the intricate manipulation within Ashberry’s body in the week before.  Then the two lay together in a formal ceremony, with their attendants waiting outside the bedtent ready to perform further spells and lifemagic over the couple as soon as possible.  
The couple were able to choose both the gender and the colour of their child, and Ashberry suggested blue to honour her father, while Bluetwine wanted a daughter like his lovely wife.  Thus Whisper was conceived, and after a slightly longer-than normal pregnancy by Brownie standards (but indecently short by dwarven), the pretty indigo-hued baby girl was born healthy and noisily, in a skin tent on the desert sands at the edge of the great Void.

Importance

Bluetwine is known mainly for two things - his beautiful frame joinery, carved with fantastic twining tendrils and vines, and his role as Whisper’s father.  It is said that he provided the first frames for the first experimental receivers that were created in Void space, with Brownie friends and mages funnelling their lifemagic into the wooden borders.  To this day it is traditional to carve tendrils and vines on Void Receivers, or to sculpt them into the living wood with mindchisels.  

Picture

Don't think we have a dwarf with blue tattoos, so I'll have to draw one....but I will look carefully first!

------------------------------------------------------------

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2002, 09:38:00 »

WOW!!!!!!!

Bard, you are a wonder!!

You have made him so....alive and real!

Thank you so much! **Bows to the Bard**

Some tweaking is needed, but all minor stuff.....I'll carefully sift through it very soon, perhaps tonight.

Brownie Expert

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2002, 10:45:00 »

1. "eventually only as Bluetwine the Aeolian" needs to be changed to "eventually only as Bluetwine the Memnoor" (this Brownie tribe finally has a name)
2. "resided and died in the Aoelian Brownie community." should be changed to "resided and died just outside the Etherial Void as part of the Memnoor Brownie tribe."
3. Born-died. ouch. this part is going to take a lot of calculation and work on my part. I'll get back to it. (Whisper is related to some other famous Brownies...and I intended her to grow up in a single-parent home, so that works out perfectly)
4. "he was apprenticed to a Brownie woodworker in the nearby Rimmerin Ring area, doing..." should be changed to *something like* "he was apprenticed to the Brownie Woodworker Clan, which at the time often contracted out to nearby human towns, in the nearby Vale of Brownies in the Rimmerin Ring area, doing..."
ah....still kinda awkward. Any ideas on this one? Just concerned that even Brownie beam-work would be quite small, should they work on things for larger races as well?
5. "the Kor Donion Brownies" Er.....could you explain, please?
6. "...was taken in, like many refugees before him, by the Aoelian Brownies at the edge...."   changed to "...was taken in, like many refugees before him, by the Memnoor tribe of Brownies at the edge..."
7. "among the great variety of folk" Maybe "this" instead of "the" would be better?
8. "The Bluebark tribe members adopted him formally after hearing his wry joke that since his skin was already mostly blue, he would fit right in.." Great way of getting him in, but there is no tribe of bluebarks.....coloration is not what divides them into tribes, location is. Blue Brownies don't just stay with blue Brownies, et cetera, they are all mixed up together....they don't pay too much attention to it (maybe about as much attention as we would pay to shoe size?) All Brownies (and members of other races) there would be part of the Memnoor tribe. Maybe another transition?
9. "A skilled geneticist, a direct descendant of the famous Leatherleaf" hmmm......I only faintly remember him. Do you recall where I put him?
10. What would Whisper's life cycle be like? Potential age, adolescence, years of fertility? I plan on having her marry a Brownie and have kids....should she just have 2, in the dwarven way, or how should this work?

Brownie Expert

Edited by: Greybark at: 2/10/02 4:56:40 pm
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]