Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Baka-baka  (Read 3300 times)
Altayr

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 08 June 2002, 05:38:00 »

This is my first creature post so, please help me a little out here and if there are some stupid things in the post please tell me why they are stupid.

Baka-baka:

The baka-bake is a small creature that lives high up in the trees that comes down to hunt in packs.

Appearance:

The baka-baka measures 1 fore tall, has a slim body. It has 4 hands and walks up so he has 2 hands left to use/take things. If he spread his front-legs a flap of skin spreads which makes him able to float down from treetops. The hands contain 4 long fingers with sharp nails which allow the baka-baka to climb easily. His mouth shows lots of needle like teeth. It has a tiny nose and tiny ears, but can smell/hear a prey from miles away. Whole his body is covered with brown fur with white spots around the eyes. The baka-baka has a * sack, i don't know the exact word * on his belly.

Special abilities:

The baka-baka can when he spreads his flaps hover down from the treetops, steering with his long tail,  he does this without making any sound. This way he can float from tree to tree even over a distance of 60 feet. It is said that they can fly for miles when carried on hot air. Once fed they don't need to worry about food for 6 till 7 days. Their weakness lies in their size and strength.
These are also coarse creatures, they don't take outsiders in. If a territory is attacked and there are only a few survivors they are on their own, most of the time meaning they will find their death very soon.

Territory:

Their territory ain't big, it's just the tree where they live in and the surrounding trees, although their hunting ground can spread for miles. It may be a small territory but it's defended heavily against any trespasser. Their territories are mostly found close to a river or a drinking pool. They're only seen in the warmer regions of the world.

Behavior:

They are very social towards their own bread, but will never take a stranger in A single baka-baka will run on when it encounters any danger, although when it can't run anymore it will fight a though battle, wounding the attacker severely with his nails and his teeth. The small animal is very fast and will call upon his pack. Due to the great social needs of the animals the rest of the pack will come to it's aid. In a pack of 7-8 animals they can take down a wolf or let a bear pay a very high price. If they start fighting they do it in a rage and don't think of retreating they fight till the death.
When they hunt they attack their prey from above, making no sounds. Cause they attack in packs they are a real danger towards any living creature passing through their territory. They are mainly predators, but in time of need they'll eat plants too.

Mating:

When the females are 2 years old and the spring comes they are ready to mate, they show this to the free males by turning circles around them, spreading some strange odor. The males will determine who's the strongest by fighting each other in short but heavily fights. The strongest will make a nest and mate with the female. Once they mated they stick together for the rest of their lives. The female gives birth to 4 which are all from the same gender. The females are able to give birth 3 times in their lives. The female takes the small ones in her *sack* to hold them warm, while the male uses his to gather food for both the female and the young ones.
If the nest is attacked (this can only be so after the others of the pack are defeated) the parents both take 2 with them and flee together to safety. Their children start running after 2 weeks and will learn to hunt when they are 3 weeks old. The parents teach them to hunt for 2 month and then they are accepted as members of the pack.

Edited by: Altayr at: 6/7/02 12:48:19 pm
Altayr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2002, 05:55:00 »

Table: measurements and weight
----------------------------------------------------
quote:

Fore:  Equals 1/3 of a ped(330cm)

Ped: roughly 1 metre or approx. 3 feet

end quote
------------------------------------------------------

I think a Fore should be 33cm in stead of 330cm
or a ped should be 10 metres and then i must say
that the king had a very long arm

Edited by: Altayr at: 6/7/02 12:59:30 pm
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2002, 06:22:00 »

Altayr:

Nothing 'stupid' in this post at all - just a few grammatical and phrasing errors, which I could tidy up for you if you like.  

Couple of hopefully helpful criticisms, though:

I'm not sure why they should be solely carnivorous - it upsets the ecosystem a bit.  How about making them omnivores, like possums?  They can then eat insects, small mammals (shrews, mice, etc.), unwary birds, fruit, leaves, grubs, and so on.  They can still band together and attack larger animals if you want, but why would that be necessary?  Feel free to give a defense or explanation  :)

Needs to be a bit more consistent on tense and pronoun - could you just use 'it' throughout instead of 'he', for example?

I think the words you were looking for is 'pouch' (like an opossum or kangaroo) and 'pack'  (the group of baka-bakas which live, hunt, and mate together)

All in all, a pretty good first entry.  Congrats on getting your feet wet - and on doing your research first, too.  Add a bit more of the Sacred Detail (sorry, in-joke) and make sure it's filled out in accordance with the Bestiary Scheme (territory and location, for example), and we can work it in pretty quickly, I should think!

Tarq?  You still alive? (pokes through a large stack of papers) Get over here and have a look, if you're still breathing under all those exams.....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Altayr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2002, 07:49:00 »

Hi,
thanks for the remarks

Didn't even thought about omnivores, i like the idea, then the pack hunting wouldn't be necessary. Then i'll need to change the discription of the teeth (don't need to be long and sharp if not purely carnivore)

But i'll stick with the banding on defence.

And about not being constistent, i think it's just cause my english ain't that good at all.

So i'll put it in the right scheme and put a little more detail in it, sadly enough i can't draw, maybe good for you guys that i'm not gonna try to neither.

Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2002, 08:00:00 »

A couple of things to add to what Bard Judith said.

As to the flap of skin between the arms, it would make more sense that they glide more than float.  To float down gives the impression of a parachute.  That would be a lot of skin needed to billow out for this floating.

As to territory, you need to say where.  That means saying they can be found in such and such forest or such and such area.  What you have described is more their habitat or hunting range, which is good.  But you need to locate them on an area of the Sorren map.

I would have to second the omnivore aspect.  This would make more sense and I would think they would band and attack larger prey only in times of great need.

"In a place like this, the magic is all around you, the trick is to see it."

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2002, 12:13:00 »

Looks like it's nicely on it's way, but as mentioned, needs to be put into the Beastiary Scheme.

Still missing Diet.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2002, 14:14:00 »

I really like this. It reminds me of a Lemur or a Capuchin monkey. I even like the Gliding aspect, I was going to make the Maeverhim Elves be the Heralds of the wind - gliding from tree-top to tree-top. I think they would have a great home in the Sharadon...

Viresse Sheelala

*pokey de Viresse* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

SmurfStormcrow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2002, 19:46:00 »

You might not want to refer to it as "he." Also, just to point it out, in Japanese, baka means idiot.

Stormcrow

Psychotic Wizard-Type

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 June 2002, 21:07:00 »

LMAO!! Funny stuff.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 June 2002, 00:50:00 »

Just rememvered something. Many insect-eating creatures have pointy teeth and beaks... easier to pierce the exoskeleton of their food. So maybe you won't have to remove that.

Viresse Sheelala

*pokey de Viresse* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Altayr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2002, 05:57:00 »

Update/review:
Sorry you had to wait this long, but I had a busy weekend.
I'm ready for more advice.

Baka-baka:

The baka-baka is a small creature that lives high up in the trees. They live in group and have a strong social band, but they avoid any contact with other creatures.

Appearance:

The baka-baka measures 1 feet tall and has a slim body. It has 4 hands and walks up so it has 2 hands left to use/take things. If it spread his front-legs a flap of skin spreads which makes him able to glide down from treetops. The hands contain 4 long fingers with sharp hooked nails which allow the baka-baka to climb easily. His mouth shows lots of needle like teeth. It has a tiny nose and tiny ears, but can smell/hear
another creature from miles away. Whole his body is covered with brown fur with white spots around the eyes.
The baka-baka has a pouch on his belly. It also has a long tail which it uses to steer while gliding and the tail provides the baka-baka the balance to walk on 2 hands.

Special abilities:

The baka-baka can when it spreads his flaps glide down from the treetops, steering with his long tail, it does this without making any sound. This way it can glide from tree to tree even over a distance of 60 feet. It is said that they can fly for miles when carried on hot air. Once fed they don't need to worry about food for 6 till 7 days. Their weakness lies in their size and strength.
These are also coarse creatures, they don't take outsiders in. If a territory is attacked and there are only a few survivors they are on their own, most of the time meaning they will find their death very soon.

Territory:

Their territory is not big, it's just the tree where they live in and the surrounding trees, although their ground where they seek food can spread for miles. It may be a small territory but it's defended heavily against any trespasser. Their territories are mostly found close to a river or a drinking pool. They're only seen on the continent Sarvonian in the forests surrounding the Gulf of Maraya, these are: Sharadon-Forest, Auturian Woods and Zeiphyrian Forests.

Behavior:

They are very social towards their own bread, but will never take a stranger in.
A single baka-baka will run on when it encounters any danger, although when it can't run anymore it will fight a though battle, wounding the attacker severely with his nails and his teeth. The small animal is very fast and will call upon his pack. Due to the great social needs of the animals the rest of the pack will come to it's aid. In a pack of 7-8 animals they can take down a wolf or let a bear pay a very high
price. If they start fighting they do it in a rage and don't think of retreating they fight till the death.

Diet:

The baka-baka doesn't eat much, but is willing to travel a few miles for food. It uses his long nails to pierce fruit and plants till they reach the edible parts. The baka-baka also uses it's nails to peel the bark of the trees to get some insects. Sometimes it happens that a small mammal that passes through the territory becomes part of their dinner.

Mating:

When the females are 2 years old and the spring comes they are ready to mate for their first time, they show this to the free males by turning circles around them, spreading some strange odor. The males will determine who's the strongest by fighting each other in short but heavily fights. The strongest will make a nest and mate with the female. Once they mated they stick together for the rest of their lives. The female gives birth to 4 which are all from the same gender. The females are able to give birth 3 times in their lives. The female takes the small ones in her pouch to hold them warm, while the male uses his to gather food for both the female and the young ones.
If the nest is attacked (this can only be so after the others of the pack are defeated) the parents both take 2 with them and flee together to safety. Their children start running after 2 weeks and will learn to hunt when they are 3 weeks old. The parents teach them to hunt for 2 month and then they are respected members of the pack.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]