Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fragran's tree (Revived and revised)  (Read 4348 times)
Almenda

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 12 June 2002, 18:53:00 »

Hey! I'm back, and I've finished my tree! Hope you guys like. I did alittle bit of reserch on places.

Fragran's Tree

Description:

A slim tree averaging 8 peds in height, with reddish brown bark, and black leaves with small purple spots. Will produce tiny purple flowers in the spring (usually during the months of Awakening Earth, Changing Winds and Singing Bird), which become hard, tiny inedible nuts in summer and fall (from Rising Sun through Burning Heavens, Sleeping Dreameress and Fallen Leaf, to Passing Clouds.) The bark is rough, as if the tree were covered with small sharp grains, and will catch at anything that brushes against it.

Territory:

Found throughout Santharia, these trees can grow in most locations, even on cliff-faces. However, Optimal conditions for the tree are rich soil, good water, and a nice, sunny, area. They are also found mainly around healer huts.

Uses:

Bark can be grated and used as an anti-nausea tea. It has a earthy, pleasant taste and gives a feeling of extra energy. The spice will often be added to drinks to give them 'kick' and flavour. Fragran's pice can also be mixed with butter and honey to make "Bark-Butter", a delicious and healthy spread for fresh bread.

Excerpt from "Gough's book of spices."

"…Spice Preparations:

To make Fragran's spice, one must find the tree, and then peel the bark off. The best time to do this is the month Singing Bird, when the bark slips easy, although this can be done any time the leaves are on the tree. After you have the bark, most people smoke it, to add more flavor, although it has also been steamed. After this is done, you take a grater, and finely grate the bark till you have very fine dust. Then you can put it into a leather pouch and it is ready for use. There is a large population of the fragrans tree around Voldar, near the Thaelon forest, (the area in which it is said to have first started) and therefore they happen to be the worlds largest prouducer of Fragran's spice…"

Myth:
The most common myth centered around these trees, is that of the healer Fragran, who came from Voldar, which is as follows:

"Fragran, a notable healer from Voldar, was returning there for a family reunion. He was getting tired, as he had traveled from Thyslan, where he now lived, through the Aurora Fields, up through Cemphiria, and through the forest to Voldar. He had stopped at a tavern in Cemphiria, where he bought a drink and mentioned he had been up all day, traveling. That was the last anyone saw him alive. It is widely believed that he stopped to rest on a tree. What he didn't realize was that its bark was so rough; it caught anything that touched it, even his skin. When he woke up, he found that he could not move. He was starving, and, as no one expected him for many days, he soon was on the verge of death. It's believed that, right before he died, he some how spread his spirit into the tree, not only giving it healing properties, but also making the bark less rough, so as it still caught anything that touched it, but that, with enough force, the item could be peeled off.
When he had not arrived for the reunion, his family was worried. The whole town searched the forest, and soon found the remains of Fragran, which was just the tunic he was wearing, and the leather satchel that he carried his healing potions in. they looked at the tree, and immediately noticed the black leaves and purple blossoms, which were his favorite colors, and had guessed what you've just read. Right then and there it was called 'Fragran's tree,' and later spelled 'Fragrans tree.' The people of Voldar soon made sure that any tree that kept hold of a test cloth, no matter what strength applied, was chopped down, though they didn't dare go too deep into the woods, and so there may still be old specimens of the old tree there."

"Not all who wander are lost."- J.R.R. Tolkien, The  Fellowship of the Ring.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 13 June 2002, 07:44:00 »

Nice to have you back, Almenda!

The Fragrans has already been incorporated, but it's always good to get amplification, especially on such an important spice.  I'm hoping to put out some recipes soon, so look for your creation to feature in the Baked Goods area.... (smile)

Regards from the Bard

“The three principal endeavors of a Bard are to learn and collect knowledge; to teach others; to make peace and put an end to all injury. To do contrary to these things is not usual or becoming to a Bard.”  
The Triads of Britain, medieval text

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Almenda

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 June 2002, 13:23:00 »

It was? I didn't see it. I'll go back and look. But thanks for the welcome. I might make an animal next. Or another common plant. Does santharia have Owls?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 13 June 2002, 13:30:00 »

Fragran already integrated, Judy?  *ponders and takes a look* You must be wrong...  Or did we use another name?

P.S. Please also always add category now, e.g. Tree, Deciduous, Evergreen, Tropical etc. - see menu on the site!

Owl would be cool to have, Almenda - if you'd like to do one... Faugar will sure do a nice pic of Brownie riding on a snow owl, so we'd have a pic then as well;)  

Contact Artimidor - Webmaster & World Development Admin
The Santharian Dream - Where fantasy dreams come true

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 6/12/02 8:32:17 pm

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2002, 08:01:00 »

Sorry, poorly expressed there (slaps forehead).  Although the ENTRY has not been put on-site, everyone liked the Fragrans - so the concept was used in a few other entries.

Well, um,  I used it!  And some recipes are coming, as said before...   (goes sheepishly away and tries to learn how to use the SEARCH button on the site.....)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Almenda

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2002, 13:33:00 »

It'll be a Deciduous tree. I hope it'll get put on for sure now.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 14 June 2002, 13:40:00 »

Oh yes, Almenda, everything looks fine I guess, so it should be up next update:)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Almenda

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 June 2002, 13:43:00 »

Thanks. I'll try to work on the owl problem soon. ;)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 16 June 2002, 02:49:00 »

Short request, Almenda: I'd need a few lines summary of the entry to be placed on top - can you provide some?

Ah, yes, and d sentence or two about reproduction would also be quite nice.

But that's it. Entry is very nice:)  

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 6/15/02 9:54:49 am

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 17 June 2002, 09:36:00 »

I've added summary already, Reproduction would be still nice to have.

Almenda

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 June 2002, 14:28:00 »

I'm sorry, I can't get online on weekends to much. I didn't know you need that. Here goes:

Reproduction:

The Fragrans tree reproducts in the normal way of trees.
During the months of  Fallen Leaf and Passing Clouds, they shed their nuts, which ether grow from that spot, or are carried off by birds, who later find they are too hard to crack.

Edited by: Almenda at: 6/17/02 9:45:48 pm
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 18 June 2002, 15:17:00 »

Ok, thanx, Almenda. I've just updated the entry:)  

Llian Aarchim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 June 2002, 19:33:00 »

Good stuff :)  

The Santharian Dream
The Santharian Development Board
•Contact the Santharian Historian

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent