Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Pegasi  (Read 9874 times)
Mutares

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 05 August 2002, 18:19:00 »

Hey, guys? Do you have a Pegasus yet? Well, if not, (I'm pretty sure that no, bc I looked for it) I'll write about it! I'm almost halfway through, I'll publish it in this topic maybe tomorrow. ;)  

Belgarion the Great

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05 August 2002, 20:27:00 »

nope can't say that we do. We've got unicorns though, and I think that in that description it is said some have wings. Pegasus though is the name of the horse itself. They are called Winged horses, Pegasus is a proper noun. Oh and here's part of the Unicorn entry,
Wings. Those Unicorns with wings are able to fly without making a sound, the wings are hinged above the Unicorns shoulders.

See. I'm not sure if you could do it but hey. Ask Tarq.

You are Cordially invited to the place of

Mutares

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2002, 07:26:00 »

Pegasus

Pegasi are the creatures of great mystery even today; legendary winged horses that have been considered divine, and magical, and a blessing. Well, no wonder, - those beasts are extremely rare. They are often mismatched with winged Unicorns, but at close distance it’s quite noticeable – pegasi do not have horns and their flight is not silent. Not long ago it has been discovered that they live high up in the mountains where no other creature can survive. All the information we have now was kindly provided by Scholar Mansuryn of Marcogg ((link) - I also wrote the story about her), who has vowed her life to finding and studying pegasi when she saw one as a little girl. Her story of finding the creatures and living among them for several years is no less interesting than the creatures themselves.

Appearance - Pegasi are the size of normal horses, maybe even a bit bigger. They are incredibly beautiful creatures. Anyone who ever had the luck to see one will tell you that it really is divine. Most of them are white, with massive feathered wings, about 5 peds in span (from wing-tip to wing-tip), and sky-blue eyes. However, there are some black individuals, and even rarer are grey and chestnut ones; almost always males. Color seems to be a sex-linked trait in pegasi, where white allele is dominant and the rest are recessive. They have unusually large powerful muscles on their backs, for supporting their flight. Wings grow a bit higher than middle back, from the scapula bones. pegasi have long tails and manes, and long hair also grows from below their knees, covering the hooves slightly. No one had the chance yet to examine their anatomy thoroughly because it has proved impossible, at least at present, to catch one. Pegasi try to keep away from the eye and live in extreme altitudes. They must also have some kind of lung adaptation to breathe normally up there.

Special Abilities - Definitely, these beasts are granted with many special abilities, and many of these many, surely, we do not know of. However, we do know that they possess high intellect and behave as a “people” inside their circles. They also have a telekinetic ability to communicate with one, somehow, through thoughts, as Maia Mansurin said in her writings.

Territory - Places of pegasi settlements are very vague, because the creatures are usually spotted at random. But there have always been more sightings by the mountains. One exact location is in western Mithral Mountains. Some have also been seen in Tandala Highlands and Vindel Mountains.

Habitat/Behavior - Pegasi live in mountain caves, usually near hot springs, where there are small islands of grass and fruit trees. They cover their cave floors with dry leaves for sleep. Their age span is unclear, but it is known that the oldest is commonly in charge of the settlement. Sometimes they gather on the mountain glades and lead a silent discussion. They are afraid of the full moon, it drives them berserk and they are unable to fly. During full moon nights they are always hiding in caves. Pegasi communicate with other settlements even in distant mountains. They can fly for days without stopping. When they need to rest their wings, they soar. Their psychology is very complicated; it seems they know what’s going on in the world, but still keep to themselves. There have been occasions where some people were saved by pegasi. It happens through the pledge of friendship. If a pegasus pledges friendship, wherever his friend is in danger and calls to him in his mind, he will come to help. But not many, at least known individuals have been so close to pegasi, save some elves and Scholar Mansurin.

Diet - Pegasi are vegetarian. They eat grass, fruit, vegetables…etc, but like their things fresh. They will never eat hay.

Mating - Pegasi mate for life. They feel something very like love towards each other, and will always recognize their mate when they see him/her for the first time. A female pegasus can have several children in her lifetime, but she does not mate again until her child reaches it's full size and strength and is able to have a family of his/her own. How the child is conceived is not known. A pair usually flies away somewhere, and no one follows. Assuming they are very like horses physically, they must mate in the same way.

Usages - Apparently, many kings would want to use pegasi for war, but such possibility hasn’t been an option.

Myth/Lore - Some say that pegasus came from two flying Unicorns who lost their horns. And they were so ashamed before others, that they hid themselves high in the mountains, where none would see them, and lived there. They had a child and it was without a horn too. So came pegasi. But apparently not; they have been dreamt by Ava separately for some higher purpose. Scholar Mansurin, for example, states that they are made to watch over us. She felt it from the moment she was among them.  

Edited by: Mutares at: 8/5/02 4:24:29 pm
Belgarion the Great

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2002, 08:44:00 »

Well it's very nice, enough differences from unicorns and it would be a shame for this to go to waste. Of course some things are; 1. Could you add a "Researchers" thing there, since you talk about this Mansurin so much it would only make sense to give her such a spot. 2. Now I know some of the older entries do this but Pegasus is just a normal everyday noun, like wolf or pina colada. So there isn't much reason to capitalize it in the middle of a sentence is there? 3. I had this problem with my snake, if a female pegasus can only have one child per lifetime that isn't enough to keep the species going. It takes two pegasi to mate and if that can only make one pegasus than it halves the pegasus population every generation. You'd need at least 2.5 since some will die by other causes. Or maybe mate more than once.

I think that's all... you misspelled are in the diet. Oh and I was unsure, when you were talking about wings is that 5 peds per wing or 5 peds from wing tip to tip?

Mutares

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2002, 09:26:00 »

There, I think I fixed everything. Except abouth the researchers, what do you mean? Like a separate column, as "appearance" or something? See, I wrote this short story about M. Mansurin, I almost finished it, and I thought maybe to submit it and them make a link, if it's accepted.  

Belgarion the Great

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2002, 10:38:00 »

Researcher is another topic you can put in, like Appearance or Behavior, or Other. It would probably be put in as a link when they put it in so that'll be fine but a seperate section would be kinda like a summary of the story.

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2002, 17:14:00 »

Um, we don't really need Pegasi. Aside from having enough mythic/magic creatures, and a list of things which need to be updated, or were mentioned in other entries but don't have entries of their own, this is pretty much already covered. We have flying unicorns, which is basically the same thing, just one doesn't have a horn.

It'd be much more helpful if you took a look at the list Wren made of things mentioned in entries without their own entry, and the list of things needing redone, and did something from there. Thanks.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Edited by: Tarquet Galbar at: 8/6/02 12:16:25 am
Mutare Serphinroth

View Profile
OK
« Reply #7 on: 06 August 2002, 19:03:00 »

All right then. I thought that it was the other way around, that mythical creatures were always needed... And I already planned to write of gargoyles, and of harpies, and hydras, and basilisks, and all that... What a disappointment!
Well bah!!!! Just a waste of time. Can you tell me where to find this list though? I can't seem to find it...

Tarquet Galbar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 August 2002, 20:31:00 »

One is "What Beastiary Entries Need To Be Done" or something. It's one of the 3 that are stuck to the top, the last one. The other is "Wren's list of things mentioned in entries." and it should be floating around near the top here somewhere. And no, we've had many people who want this or that magical or mystical creature. It's the mundane types that need done, really. No one pays any attention to them.

Tarquet Galbar,
BeastMaster Of Santharia
Creator of Weavers
Chronicler of the Rahaz-Dath Mercenaries

Belgie
« Reply #9 on: 07 August 2002, 01:57:00 »

Look at it, it is diffierent than the unicorn in a few ways and really, it's already made. Why not just let him keep this and then no more mythic guys. A real pain, I never got to make one, oh well I got time to make one eventually.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2002, 02:36:00 »

I think we could very well need some pegasi because these flying unicorns with or without horns are rather confusing.

More important is that the Unicorn is meant to be the beast of Foiros and thus has some cosmological relevance. I guess the pegasus would have also a myth around it, as they're at least meant to be related.

About the monsters thingies, well, let's first clear up what demons are all about, then such entries can't hurt either.
The "What beasts must be redone..." thingie is also there though it is not that we work after schedule so these lists are only a reminder of things that should be done when you've no ideas what to do.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Mutare Serphinroth

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 August 2002, 07:13:00 »

Well, I read about Unicorns and I don't think there's anything in common between them except that they are horse species. If not, then not, but I think it wouldn't hurt the Bestiary.

And also... I put quite a work into it! At least for me it's an effort, English after all... *aaargghh* I know, stupid not to find out if it's needed first, but I was just so sure... oh well.

I'll check this list.

Thanks everybody!

Mutare Serphinroth

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 August 2002, 09:30:00 »

Hello? *shoot!* Well, I guess the topic is closed...

Belgarion the Great

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 August 2002, 09:58:00 »

It's only been a day. People are busy you know. I still think we should include this entry. What harm could it do, it's just a waste of Mutare's... and frankly my, time.

Mutare Serphinroth

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 August 2002, 11:18:00 »

Yeah... let's see if our webmaster sees this, and what will he say.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]