Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Giant Rat  (Read 3085 times)
Finnael
Heraldic Artist
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« on: 22 November 2002, 22:18:00 »

The Giant Rat

APPEARANCE

The head and body length is 24-26 palmspans, with a tail length of 36-46 palmspans. Male Giant Rats weigh about 3 ods and females up to 2 ods. The fur is short and thin. The giant rat's mouth is practically attached to its nose, lying right underneath it and they have small, pointy teeth. The coloring in the mid stomach regions range from dark grayish brown to light gray, with a bit of brown or clear reddish brown. The general color becomes paler on the sides ranging from gray with a bit of brown to reddish brown. They have small, pink feet with sharp claws to help them climb trees and such to get food. Their ears are practically naked sticking slightly out of it’s head. In rare cases there is a fairly visible, almost white, stripe across the back just behind the shoulders. They have large, black beady eyes which are positioned right above their long noses.

HABITAT/BEHAVIOR

The Giant Rat dwells in forests and thickets. They are slow moving and calm when they don’t sense danger. Even though they are nocturnal they have been seen foraging during the day. For shelter they often use natural cracks and holes or hollow trees, but they can dig their own burrows. Entrances to the nesting chamber are often sealed with rocks and sand, while a number of escape tunnels also exist in most burrows. The burrows have two to six openings and are mostly located  in moist, shaded areas under boulders or at the bases of large trees. The Giant Rat uses its cheek-pouches to store food until it can find a place to put it. In rare occasions they can be seen climbing trees in search of fruit if there is none available on the ground. Female giant rats can be very aggressive if provoked while the males are more calm. Staying away from predators is very important to the giant rat and they achieve this by spending only a limited time outside the burrow. Their most feared predators are snakes and giant cats such as the Shingar.

DIET

These rats are completely omnivorous, enjoying fruits, vegetables and insects. The inedible portions of their foods are placed into the lining of the nesting chamber. They will drink water and appear to be dependent on its availability through direct use or from fruits.

MATING

After a gestation period of around 27-36 days the giant rat can give birth to a litter of 1-5 babies. Their skin colour starts to develop when they are 4 days old. The mother remains with the young until they are about a week old and then allows them to look for food on their own. Their eyes open fully by the 28th day. The male can be found approaching a female to mate where she will respond defensively, rearing up on her hind legs and pushing the male off with her paws. The male would then keep her from escaping and then comfort her to make her feel safe.

SPECIAL ABILITIES

They can climb well, using their long tail for balancing, and can swim. A noted form of defense that the giant rats are capable of would be when they would sit up on their haunches, blow up their cheek pouches and let out a noisy blast of air that could knock a creature of it’s own size over.

TERRITORY

The giant rat can be found in Southern Sarvonia but mostly in the surrounding forests of Voldar and the Auturian Woods near Marcogg.

USAGE

At times giant rats can be found captive for the use of their milk. Some people use it just to drink while others use it, thinking it will give them more strength. The people of Marcogg use it the most. They can be seen catching the stray giant rat that is wandering around on their property and selling the milk on the streets.

Evil thinks not to beguile us by unveiling the terrible truth of its festering intent, but comes, instead, disguised in the diaphanous robes of virtue, wispering sweet-sounding lies intended to seduce us into the dark bed of our eternal graves.

E-mail Me Here                            Check Out My Site

Edited by: Finnael  at: 11/25/02 5:01:03 am
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2002, 03:13:00 »

The measurements!

Thoroughly written, just a little bit boring, :D  could you add something exciting? Maybe if you introduce a researcher, who has looked after the stomach content?How did he get hold of one exemplar,digging it out?A funny little story? How do people(humans,elves,other )think of them? Are they good to eat?(Why not!) Which animals are hunting them?....
What about their eyes? Haven't rats often beautiful, shiney eyes?

Another very small comment..
"The Giant Rat dwells in forests and thickets. They are slow moving and calm when they don’t sense danger. THOUGH they are nocturnal THEY have been seen..."
Avoids the repetition of "they"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2002, 10:16:00 »

Finnael: a couple of my concerns...

First, yes, all the measurements should be converted.  If you can't think of them off the top of your head, no problem, but then print out the list of Santharian Weights and Measures,  or edit the entry as soon as possible.  One ped equals one meter, more or less, so that is an easy scale to keep in mind.

Second, I have difficulty with the erratic style in this entry.  Some of it is written very technically, with scientific accuracy and a certain dryness, as Talia has pointed out.  However, other sections are grammatically awkward and lack detail, though they have interest and energy.

It is no problem if you do research in RL for your fantasy animals - in fact I would like to encourage that, because there are more 'fantastic' things in this universe than we could ever make up, believe it or not (did you know there really ARE pink and purple dolphins?  Check the Dolpholk entry for a RL pic!)

However, I would suggest that you learn the fine art of paraphrase and summary.  Use the information you have gathered and adapt it as necessary.  Write in your own words, and you will produce a  more natural feel and a consistent beast.

Regards from the bard,
Judith

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You wouldn't have enjoyed it, Dad.  There were rats."
"Rats?"
"Big ones."

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indy to his Dad

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"R.O.U.Ses?"
"Rodents of Unusual Size.  Frankly, I don't believe they exist."

The Princess Bride, Wesley to Buttercup

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Llian Aarchim

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2002, 13:15:00 »

I like it alot but i share some concerns that Judith does, theres one more thing that worrys me also and thats thatmost rats on earth live off of our leftovers but these eat fruits and berrys that means for this rat to be this size it would need to eat a subsantial amount to keep its body active because it would need a moderate diet..perhaps you could explain this slightly more?

The Santharian Dream
The Santharian Development Board
•Contact the Santharian Weapons Master at john.s.gage@btinternet.com.

Edited by: Llian Aarchim at: 11/23/02 7:20:23 pm
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2002, 13:27:00 »

Not quite correct, Llilian, they are omnivorous, eat meat as well..insects are mentioned, but maybe you add some more things from the meat side, snails, worms, ...other little rodents, if they catch them, eggs...

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Llian Aarchim

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 November 2002, 14:55:00 »

I ment "These" as the creature we are discussing here Talia, not our Earth rats..sorry i should have elaberated slightly more:) .

The Santharian Dream
The Santharian Development Board
•Contact the Santharian Weapons Master at john.s.gage@btinternet.com.

Finnael
Heraldic Artist
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2002, 00:59:00 »

I have edited it.

BTW do you think that I should say something about rats milk???

Evil thinks not to beguile us by unveiling the terrible truth of its festering intent, but comes, instead, disguised in the diaphanous robes of virtue, wispering sweet-sounding lies intended to seduce us into the dark bed of our eternal graves.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2002, 15:43:00 »

Ok, marked for this update (Monday this time). Should there be some problems here and there I'll correct them.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2002, 17:58:00 »

Rats milk? Why not. Well, if it is just to feed the babies and nothing of more interest, I wouldn't miss it, but if you invent something exciting...like...that the rats are caught or held to get this milk from them because it is ...a aphrodisiacum, lol, or e remedy against..what ever!
But hurry, Art wants to prepare it for the entry!

Finnael
Heraldic Artist
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2002, 22:09:00 »

Done and done... :smokin  

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 25 November 2002, 22:11:00 »

Art:  If you are going to go ahead and make the changes as you update it, then please be very careful in checking the  "it's" / "its".  Most of the usages are incorrect in this entry, and since I wasn't aware that it was ready for the update, I didn't proof it for you first.  Sorry about that!

Regards from the it's-only-it's-if-it's-short-for-it-is bard,
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Finnael
Heraldic Artist
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 November 2002, 22:59:00 »

Lol, sorry, I will fix that right now.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2002, 04:57:00 »

:lol  you didn't dare to write what I proposed:lol  

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]