Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Beastiary Organization  (Read 12911 times)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 18 December 2002, 12:13:00 »

The Aj'nuvic isn't a deer, it has paws and feeds of meat as well, a mammal yes, otherwise no cathegory. I tried hard that it wouldn't fit in any of our known schemes!
and isn't the Nul'tum a mammal as well? (Have to reread it!)
Btw, if an update for the Nul'tum is necessary, I would like to put it in my to do list.:rolleyes  

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 December 2002, 13:48:00 »

(This message was left blank)

Tyrian Jadewalker

Edited by: Tyrian Jadewalker at: 12/18/02 4:32:52 pm
Finnael
Heraldic Artist
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 December 2002, 15:41:00 »

That looks good except... The Izaac is possible unisex animal. But a mammal nonetheless. You could maybe make a section for this kind of mammal.

Evil thinks not to beguile us by unveiling the terrible truth of its festering intent, but comes, instead, disguised in the diaphanous robes of virtue, wispering sweet-sounding lies intended to seduce us into the dark bed of our eternal graves.

E-mail Me Here                            Check Out My Site

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 December 2002, 18:17:00 »

The only think I think is a bit off is that.. well.. Annelids and Echinoderms and even Anthropods sounds a bit too formal for Santharia.

Also, um.. you moves stuff around that shouldn't have been moved around. ~_~;; And you broke up groups that Arti had requested, like the Utilizable animals

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 December 2002, 20:06:00 »

it was simply a suggestion...i knew the terms were too advanced for santharia...but the question here is whether we want to break this up in terms of santharian people looking at it or us looking at it?

Tyrian Jadewalker

Edited by: Tyrian Jadewalker at: 12/18/02 4:35:42 pm
Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 December 2002, 21:29:00 »

I vote for us looking at it: I mean, we're the ones that have to *find* what we're looking for.

Brownie Expert

Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 December 2002, 22:47:00 »

that was my way of looking at it to greybark...that's why i had them split like that...

the only reason i made this suggestion was that you could more easily classify animals because if you have a mammal that is not in any of the other categories you could just put it in the mammals section...

was just a possible alternative to just listing them all...

Tyrian Jadewalker

Edited by: Tyrian Jadewalker at: 12/18/02 4:36:08 pm
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 December 2002, 22:58:00 »

If the site was meant for us, we would be able to use words like "genes" and "chemicals" and "vitamins," but we aren't. Besides, there are probably some kids who don't really know what all the terms mean. The only when you would know what these things were would be if you had taken Biology. Biology tends to be a High school class taught in Freshman or Sophmore year.

I started RPing in seventh or eighth grade, not here, but somewhere else. The point is that there might be some people who won't understand the terms. I think we need to keep things in simple terms or in terms that are purely Santharian and are related to the Dream.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 December 2002, 01:36:00 »

for the understanding part...i agree completely...i was just trying to figure out a way to categorize them so that you wouldn't have things that are just kind of "there"...

in your categorization you mention sea mammals and air mammals...why not just have simply mammals as well?

the invertebrates that i added in there were a bit overboard i realize that...but if we are thinking of restructuring this area we should do it right...and i feel that without some sort of structure to this then in about 6 months time it will have to be done all over again...

that is why i am trying to suggest that not only do we define the beasts that are already currently in santharia but that we set up some method of classifying every beast that will be created....sure there will be some exceptions to these rules but i think it would make it a LOT easier to keep the area organized...

Tyrian Jadewalker

Edited by: Tyrian Jadewalker at: 12/18/02 4:37:43 pm
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 December 2002, 01:46:00 »

I do like the idea of building the Categories Off the back so we don't need to restructure some time down the road.

I mean, like the Magic. I thought it was FINE! Just when I was getting the hang of it, we gotta RE-STRUCTURE.
*pouts*
My posts are getting lost over there.

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 December 2002, 02:11:00 »

I never said Arti was a dictator. Dictators are often mean and oppressive (like Stalin or Hitler). And actually, everything does have to get approved by Arti because it goes up on the site. He checks just about everything. (Makes you look at him a bit differently, ne? He does a lot more work than you think!) You didn't know this? Things get on the site because Arti puts them there or Arti gets other people to put them there. Arti checks most everything, and if not him, then one of his trusted advisors like Mommy-Judith or some other person.

And I did give you a good reason why I don't. That's what my entire last post was about. >_< No one listens to the little elven girl ~_~; You shouldn't act like I didn't give you any reasons if I actually did. And I still don't see why you split up Utilizable Animals. All the animals in that category were mammals, so you didn't have to split them up as you did. You could have just put them in Mammals as they were. I'm just wondering why you didn't do that.

And in my "Flying Mammals" and "Sea Mammals," I was trying to remain true to the Santharian way of doing things. As I have already stated, the Santharians proably didn't use such technical terms, and may not have known the characteristics of each animal to define the category in which they fall simply because they didn't have the technology at the time to see these characteristics.

You're certainly getting worked up over this. Relax.

Poor Viresse. ::hugs her::

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 19 December 2002, 02:43:00 »

I agree with Rayne here, don't make it too complicated and don't use termini a lot of people won't understand. Not everybody knows even what Arachnae are, why not say just spider, or spiderlike animals?Without knowing some latin, I wouldn't have known whar Vertebraes are. We don't need all these latin strict classification here. Why not say "Simple Lifeforms?".Though I agree with Greybark that "we " are looking at the classification, we  nevertheless should not make it too complicated and use only words which contemporary Santharian people would understand.
I think it has not to be classified in our strict biological scheme, it would be ok as well to classify the bat under birds , if the Santharians think it is a bird. Even the classification should be consistent with the Dream.
We could say , it is a big compendium in the library of Santhala. and the Santharian man will look for the bat under flying animals - if he doesn't find it there, he may look elsewhere...

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 December 2002, 02:52:00 »

Simple is good.
Many of the Users here don't speak english as a first language, so we don't need to complicate the site by using scientific terms.
In fact, people just want to be swept away by the easy to read texts and the amazing stories, and complex terms may make that difficult.
I mean, imagine how many people that could be good for this site and don't know of it! Several times I have thought of telling friends about it, but worry that the amount of effort will scare them away.

Anyway. Simple is easy, but we need to plan ahead as well. Always think about the players and the future....

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Greybark
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 December 2002, 05:20:00 »

I could go along with anything simple.....There's no way to remember everything if ***everything*** has their own Santharitechnical categories....

Brownie Expert

Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 December 2002, 10:48:00 »

i realize simple is good...and as i said before i realize this was overboard...i went to the extreme to try and get the notice that organization was probably better to do NOW rather than having to do later...just because we do not have any protazoa now does not mean we won't be having any later...

and rayne...if you read my post you would notice that i actually did say that i agreed with you on the terminology being too advanced...i just figured i would put it all in..
*no one listens to the new guy*

as for arachnids there are more arachnids other than spiders...and if someone wanted to make a scorpion then it would fall under that category...it seems both rayne and i agree on that as she had it included in her original post...

all i was saying is that your categorization is great...except i think there needs to be more general headings so that you can actually categorize un-catgeorized animals...as for me putting things in the wrong place you can put them whereever you want...

as for the comment about arti...i know exactly what arti does...it just seemed to me that you think that anything arti says goes...while this may be true in most respects as he knows the most about santharia and it is his site...if someone comes up with a better idea then i am sure he won't say that his way is the only way...and that is just the impression i got from your post...

i do not like the idea of utilizable animals simply because i think there are some that would fall under that category but have animals under it that do not...pigs for example...

Tyrian Jadewalker

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]