Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cows  (Read 3149 times)
Lamertu Kthaen
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 05 November 2002, 17:25:00 »

I already hear you think: What could possibly be interesting about a standard animal that's eating grass all the time and giving milk? What in Ava's name would bring someone to describe this boring, herbivore! It's got four legs, a tail, udders and horns, and that's about it. But the truth is, that cows are an essential part of the economy, and that the culture of many tribes are reflected in proverbs about cows, songs about cows, and some even have myths about cows.

So here I start:

Appearance

I could use some help here, it is actually  quite hard to describe a common animal... Should I say that it has four legs, two ears, horns, a tail etcetera? Some advice plz

Territory

Cows are found throughout the Sarvonia, Nybelmar, Akdor, and some of the Cyhalloi islands. They are mainly either kept on farms or herded. They are highly adaptive, and there is a great variety within the species, making this creature both suitable for the northern tundras and for the Trubani (is that the correct adjective?) oases.

Habitat/Behavior

The cows are animals that cannot survive without the help of men ( is there a general word for sentient beings?), as they lack any kind of defence. The cows are kept by humans, halflings, or the Aellernhim and the Quealhoirhim elves. While the elves tend to let the cattle graze more or less to their own liking, the halflings keep them in meadows. Humans may do either, and are also known to keep some of them inside towns.
Cows are a rather peaceful type of animal, and prefer to spend their days lying in the sun, grazing, and sleeping. They are generally milked twice a day, in the morning and in the evening, When dusk falls, the more homely cows are led back to their sheds, where they spend their night dreaming about the days when they were young and jumped through the waving grass of spring. In the morning, they are crudely awakened by some farmer jerking their udders. During the wintertime, these cows are kept both day and night inside the shed.

Diet

Although most cows do prefer clover, their main food source consists of all sorts of grasses. During the wintertime, the cows eat hay and some leftovers of last years harvest.( It is rumoured that some orcs keep cows, and feed them with corpses of other cows, though it can be doubted that even orcs can be this cruel*)

Mating

Cows mate once a year, ussually during the Month of the Singing bird. Normally, a herd consists of 90 % cows and 10 % bulls, while poorer farmers have a bull visit their cow.

Additional, but not necessary:

Myth/Lore/Origin (Optional)

Even a cow has horns - Always be carefuk in what you do
As lazy as a cow
A cow - another name for a coin of about 500 Euro/ Dollar (does Santh have a monetary system yet?)
Feed the cow, and the cow feeds you - Labour will pay off
Don't be a cow - Don't act as if the world's problems don't concern you
A cow's life - a rich life
Live a cow's life - be productive
To raise a cow with a cow's tongue - raise strict but lovingly
Cow-brain ( ->cubran?) - curseword (?)
A cow doesn't fit through a door - eastern and western penda'u don't fit together ( and those twain shall never meet)

Usages (Optional)

Cows are kept for their milk, their leather, and their meat.

Different Species of cows

(will fit in different species (links)

*actually, in modern day bioindustry, cows are partly fed on other cows' meat :(     Leave this out, cuz it makes no sense whatsoever in Sahntharia...

Edited by: Lamertu Kthaen at: 12/30/02 4:00:04 am
Vintara Soprath

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2002, 16:02:00 »

make up a different name... maybe like Klows or sumthing  

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2002, 18:51:00 »

Please not! I don't want to play guess the animal with our everyday-animal descriptions!!!

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight
--Santharian Master of Disaster--
One day I'll be the greatest of all Jedi!!

Llian Aarchim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 November 2002, 20:40:00 »

lol

The Santharian Dream
The Santharian Development Board
•Contact the Santharian Weapons Master at john.s.gage@btinternet.com.

Gararion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 November 2002, 04:58:00 »

Now that would be something :lol  

World Siggy Federation Champion
~If I Have Helped You In Any Way Please Visit This Site To Show Your Thanxs To Me~
~I offer you a Cup of Joy~

Lamertu Kthaen
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2002, 13:51:00 »

wrote a cow poem :) . And made up someproverbs. Will edit.  

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 November 2002, 01:20:00 »

We have cows.
The Strata Milking Cow!
Ralhag's pet!
Perhaps you could make a different breed.
Different colors?
A yak?
How a bout a cowish stag?
Hm.

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - character descriptions moderator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Finnael
Heraldic Artist
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 November 2002, 17:15:00 »

:D  nice one Vir.

Evil thinks not to beguile us by unveiling the terrible truth of its festering intent, but comes, instead, disguised in the diaphanous robes of virtue, wispering sweet-sounding lies intended to seduce us into the dark bed of our eternal graves.

E-mail Me Here                            Check Out My Site

Lamertu Kthaen
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 November 2002, 17:46:00 »

It'sjust a general overview for cows. And I will create somesubspecies too. As soon as I got enough time to do it.
*school schoolschool school*

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 23 December 2002, 21:17:00 »

Yes, have to agree, a general overview for cows would be nice.

Have a look at the existing entries... the Strata cow would need to be linked as a sub-set of this overview, but otherwise would not require changes.  Then if you invent only two more (everyone knows three is a collection!) we will have a good basic cow entry on the site.  Carry on, Lamertu!

"You say the little efforts that I make
Will do no good; they never will prevail
To tip the hovering scale
Where justice hangs in the balance.
I don’t think
I ever thought they would.
But I am prejudiced beyond debate
In favor of my right to choose which side
Shall feel the stubborn ounces of my weight."

Bonaro Overstreet

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 25 December 2002, 13:43:00 »

Sooooo, how about completing this one, Lammy, as we have some nice things already so far? But e.g. some general things in Appearance are still missing, eh?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 December 2002, 22:15:00 »

For appearance, you really should add a lot of detail. Don't assume everyone knows what a cow looks like (though everyone probably does... ^^;; ). I would grab some reference material, like an encyclopedia, to help you. Add information about teh body structure and about how big they are. Be sure to use Santharian Weights and Measures. Tell how high they are at the shounder, how long they are, about how long their tails are, how much they weigh on average. You should also add information about the colors they come in. Decribe udders. After all, they are more prominent in cows than most other animals. Be as descriptive as possible. Like I said before, assume your reader has never heard of a cow before.

I would add more to mating. A lot more. I tend to look at it as the lifecycle of the species. Are their any sort of mating rituals? Are bulls very aggressive? How long is the mother cow pregnant before she gives birth? When is the little calf able to leave its mother and no longer be dependant on her milk? When will this heifer finally be able to start mating? Describe the life cycle. Like I said before, it might be good to reference an encyclopedia.

For Myth/Lore/Origin, I think you might consider mosing over to the Cosmology and Myth section. There is a God currently in the making who is often portrayed as being a bull. You might be able to add that to this section. ^_~

Finally, I think you might be able to be a little more descritive on Usages. Describe how these products are made and perhaps how they can be used in everyday society. What can you use leather for? What can cow milk be made in to? How can cow meat be treated? They can be dried or cooked to make steak. Just be really descritive.

Nice start. ^_^

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2003, 16:00:00 »

... Moving this to the top so It's not forgotten. ::looks at Lammy accusingly::

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]